ClubWRX Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,327 Posts
The ECU can retard timing -- though up to a point. I'd be interested to see a low octane full throttle log though, you're right. I'd just drive normally and not worry meanwhile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, new member here, was wondering if higher Octane has caused any problems with overheating, I have the oppotunity to purchase 104 unleaded, however, I want to make sure I'm not going to cause any issues with my 2012 STI. I have never tried to fill it up with anything higher than 93.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, new member here, was wondering if higher Octane has caused any problems with overheating, I have the oppotunity to purchase 104 unleaded, however, I want to make sure I'm not going to cause any issues with my 2012 STI. I have never tried to fill it up with anything higher than 93.
No, 104 won't cause the car to overheat. It will also do absolutely nothing for you unless you are tuned for it. Don't waste your money.

The only connection I could think of between fuel and heat would have a lot more to do with tuning. If you were tuned for 104 you would likely be running a lot more boost and seeing higher EGT temps. 104 by it self won't do anything bad to your car, just your wallet.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I put 85oct in my car.

So cheep. Much savings. All MPGs. No performance. Many knock. Amaze cost.

·
Super Modulator
19,391 Posts
ALL THE OCTANES!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grocery store or unbranded convenience store gas is basically the same stuff you get from Exxon, Valero, or any of the brand name places. There are some slight differences between the major brand names because they get their own specific blend from refineries, but those same refineries also supply the grocery stores and other cheaper places. They don't have their own refineries. The fact is the gas you get from a no name place is very likely to be the same gas you get from a brand name place, just without the cost of the brand name advertising, so it's cheaper.
You are absolutely right! A friend of mine delivers fuel for one of the biggest distributors in Canada, they pick their tanker fuel up at the two refinery's that supply ALL gas to ALL the gas stations, big or small aka; Shell or grocery stores....

41 - 46 of 46 Posts