ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'll be a future '13 WRX owner in about a month!

That being said, What type of gas do you guys feed your REXs? They say to at least put 91/93 in it, but does everyone abide by that? Should I absolutely never put regular unleaded in it? Just curious, since we all know gas prices have skyrocketed in recent years, and can be expensive. I'm willing to pay or put whatever kind in my car, just curious if it makes that much of a difference. Thanks!

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
The requirement with the stock tune is for 91. I wouldn't put any lower octane than that in.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I always use 91 Octane Unleaded fuel in mine. I would use 93, but being in Nevada we get California's premium gas which is 91. I would never use fuel below 91 octane on my WRX. Turbo's love high octane fuel and would not perform like they're supposed to with lower octane fuels.

I would suggest you use only Premium Unleaded fuel of 91 octane or higher. Skimping on fuel can potentially cause engine damage to our cars.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yea, I meant regular unleaded - woops
Never. You risk detonation and knock with low octane fuels. Having a turbo'd car requires Premium. As others stated (and the owners manual), 91 at minimum or 93 preferably. In NJ, we have some places that have 92

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to use 91/93. How much do you hope to save by filling up with lower octane gas?
I hear ya, I was just asking to hear the opinions. I know I wouldn't be saving much throughout the course of time, I've just never had a nice car and want to make sure I don't eff it all up

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
You have to use 91/93. How much do you hope to save by filling up with lower octane gas?
Exactly. If $2 per fillup is a big deal to someone, then an STI may not be the best choice. (speaking generally...sounds like the OP is open to putting the right gas in)

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
I guess the next question would be - do you guys feel a marginal difference between 91 and 93?
The car is tuned for 91 from the factory. When I was on the stock tune I filled up with 93 because 91 was not available around here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly. If $2 per fillup is a big deal to someone, then an STI may not be the best choice. (speaking generally...sounds like the OP is open to putting the right gas in)
Absolutely open to whatever is best for the whip. And you're absolutely right, if it was an issue, I shouldn't be getting a car like this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
91 is as high as I can get here in OK, though certain places (Valero) make a huge deal about not having any alcohol in their gas. I like alcohol, especially when driving. Just keep your gas out of my beer.

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,695 Posts
It is a valid question as you hear so much about cars that aren't tuned for premium wasting it. As said though, yours is not.

91 is as high as I can get here in OK, though certain places (Valero) make a huge deal about not having any alcohol in their gas. I like alcohol, especially when driving. Just keep your gas out of my beer.
Alcohol would be a great addition to the gas if they didn't reduce the octane enhancers at the same time. I wish I could find good fresh alcohol free gas (or better yet e85).

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
It is a valid question as you hear so much about cars that aren't tuned for premium wasting it. As said though, yours is not.

Alcohol would be a great addition to the gas if they didn't reduce the octane enhancers at the same time. I wish I could find good fresh alcohol free gas (or better yet e85).
You and me both

Lol, I find it hilarious....this kid I work with drives an automatic RSX...tells me he puts shell power v or whatever it is for there premium what not. I always tell him, dude...your car is tuned for 85...why are you wasting your money...on your automatic...where you didn;t do any of the mods on it but had coworkers throw that exhaust on for you...
he goes on to tell me his car is faster...so what...
I can ramble on and on about this kid

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I run 93 in my Rex.....cause I am tuned for 93, and almost every station here has 93 (One used to carry 110 oct. :whoa:). I am also picky about station and brand. I only get gas for my Rex from Sonoco, Exxon, or Shell (no Chevron in PA, or it would be on the list). And I only visit stations in good parts of town with high turnover rate (busy stations). Some of the more run-down stations have been cited for filling all tanks with 87 to make proffit, and low turnover can lead to water in the gas.

You and me both

Lol, I find it hilarious....this kid I work with drives an automatic RSX...tells me he puts shell power v or whatever it is for there premium what not. I always tell him, dude...your car is tuned for 85...why are you wasting your money...on your automatic...where you didn;t do any of the mods on it but had coworkers throw that exhaust on for you...
he goes on to tell me his car is faster...so what...
I can ramble on and on about this kid
I always ran 91 or 93 in my old '89 CRX. I could feel performance difference between premium and regular, and saw better MPG too boot. Granted, this is back when premium was $1.78/gal, but 26-28mpg from 87 octane or 33-36mpg from premium at 10-15 cents more a gallon is well worth the pennies dripped into an 11 gallon tank. Just cause the car is tuned for 87, don't mean it won't benifit from higher octane.

I also always ran 93 in my '05 tC....In that I was not able to tell the diff between 93 and 91, but 87 made the car feel sluggish. I used 93 over 91 though cause I was using 'cheap' gas....the kind you get at a discount because of 'gas points' earned at the grocery store that can only be redeemed at stations owned by said grocery store. They get their gas from 'Source One', who ever the hell that is.

I never put 'grocery store' gas in my Rex. Never.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I never put 'grocery store' gas in my Rex. Never.
Grocery store or unbranded convenience store gas is basically the same stuff you get from Exxon, Valero, or any of the brand name places. There are some slight differences between the major brand names because they get their own specific blend from refineries, but those same refineries also supply the grocery stores and other cheaper places. They don't have their own refineries. The fact is the gas you get from a no name place is very likely to be the same gas you get from a brand name place, just without the cost of the brand name advertising, so it's cheaper.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts