Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 WRX with no mods
Mileage: 52k

Problem: car died while driving, huge hole in short block while driving 40mph. Metal shrapnel and oil everywhere under hood and on street.
Dealer diagnosis: piston 1 blew hole thru short block. Oil drain pan contains anti-freeze and metal shrapnel. No metal found in engine.

Warranty yes
Repair: new short block. Machining cylinder heads for engine rebuild.

Question: If metal inside oil drain pan, doesn't that imply engine also has? Concerned that they are rebuilding my engine instead of brand new.....need technical expert to validate if repair being done correctly.

Pics: https://ibb.co/album/f3FwrF

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
Well, after a boom like that there was probably metal everywhere.

The new shortblock will be clean and fine, the heads when sent to the machine shop will be disassembled, cleaned, repaired if necessary, reassembled and shipped. I highly doubt there will be issues there. Subaru doesn't want to eat cost like that twice so i highly doubt you'll have any issues with the heads.

Your first oil change on a new block will almost always have a bit of glitter in the oil from wear in of the parts, be on the lookout for large particles. Again, highly doubt it'll be an issue, but it's worth looking.

Honestly, with a failure like that the engine quit fast enough I doubt shrapnel made it anywhere, and if it did the filter would have certainly stopped it without tripping the bypass.

On a side note i am in awe, those photos are brutal.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
You say you're concerned they're rebuilding your engine yet you also say they are not. They're using a new short block. I don't see the issue here.

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
At least the ringlands on the blown engine are still in good shape.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
I don't see how on earth they could rebuild that engine. There is no fixing that. You have nothing to worry about, it is under warranty, and Subaru is replacing the engine with a new one. Literally could not be any easier on you. You could be forking out thousands of dollars for a repair, and it isn't cheap. Trust me, I know how much a built engine costs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts