Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a wrx 2013 sedan and it has a catless downpipe and 3" straight pipe catback with 3.5" dual tips. So i wanna change it up cuz its way to loud and so my friend advice me that i should leave my straight midpipe and put my q300 axleback and it should tone sound a bit and still hear a little rumble and turbo whistle almost like the n1 race, now my question is would it sound good or bad? Or what should i do to make it better? Just ideas btw got full q300 catback

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Exhausts are very personal. I’ve heard magnaflow has a decent exhaust as well

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you have to hear it in person...unless someone used a nice condenser mic of some type it's rarely accurate listening to it on YouTube and such.

I wanted both loud & quiet so I went with the Invidia N1 race pipe (catted DP) and had a shop custom weld a Varex muffler that's 3" inlet and 4" out. It's not as aggressive sounding as the original N1 muffler but I can cut the noise below stock or open it 1/2 or open wide. Some states may be illegal but either way the butterfly is built into the muffler itself so it's not like a regular cutout and have had no issues for over a year. It's controlled wirelessly for the valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm guess im gonna try it out. If not ill end up selling my q300 for a n1 race. Did your n1 race by any chance sound super loud or it was toned down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmmm guess im gonna try it out. If not ill end up selling my q300 for a n1 race. Did your n1 race by any chance sound super loud or it was toned down.
N1 race is loud believe it or not for lower speeds which I was surprised. I loved the sound but I lived in a condo at the time and leaving work at 5am in the winter meant I either have to go or let it warm up so that's why I cut off the Invidia muffler and put the Varex on. The port is larger with the Invidia so it had a deeper tone. It sounded so nice though being the race version.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Anything in the n1 line is going to have the stereotypical grapefruit launcher fart cannon sound. They are loud and reek of teen angst.

If you dig that tone go for it. If you want to be drone free and not sound like you need attention there are tons of other options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also to throw this question out there if i go with just putting just a resonator on my straight pipe and no mufflers its still gonna be loud right? It just helps the drone to go down correct?

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Just a resonator won’t do much imo. Just quiet the exhaust a little

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm thinking about putting together a document that rates WRX exhausts.... I could setup an online poll/survey so people can input their answers easily and quickly. basically, the responses could rate specific exhaust models by 3 things: loudness, drone, and raspiness/tone quality. Yes, each of these is subjective to the person rating them, but after a while, the document I setup will be able to take an average of all the different answers. once enough ratings are input for different makes and models, the document will be able to setup a hierarchy list based on one of the three categories, and people can compare them more consistently.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
The problem with that is there are people who don’t think a straight pipe is loud.

Exhausts are subjective. Rating fit and finish are some good ideas though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah.. at the beginning of the survey, i'd probably request/require that people input data on exhaust makes/models that they've owned or experienced in-person frequently via a friend. Obviously within each maker you have its own hierarchy, so I thought comparing them all in one list would be an interesting project. It would also be possible just using logic, comparing just 2 at a time. A>B, C>B, A>C....... = A>C>B. that would most likely take longer, and would need more specific datapoints, but would definitely take out a lot of error/subjectiveness. If someone's owned both, or heard two side by side at a meet, or whatever, its pretty easy to distinguish which of two exhausts are louder. (assuming both are CBE or both are ABE)

I.E.
NVIDIA from least aggressive to most aggressive: Q300, R400, N1 dual exit, N1 race.
Nameless from least aggressive to most aggressive: 5" mufflers, 3" mufflers, MD's

and then with the ratings or logic based datapoints, that set could turn into: Q300, 5" mufflers, 3" mufflers, R400, N1 dual exit, MD's, N1 race.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Wrxnh you have a video of how your wrx sounds with the varex mufflers by any chance?
This is the only one but the closed sounds quieter. It's quieter than OEM without the drone. And this was the 3" outlet but since then I've upgraded to the 3" inlet with 4" outlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LHhfVUwf4

And this is how the butterfly valve works inside the muffler via the wireless transmitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrMhyepj7jQ

Best of both worlds honestly. Long drive, sometimes I'll close it so I can enjoy the music. With it closed the boost maxes out at 10 lbs or so but I rarely ever push the car with it closed. I can warm up my car in the winter at 5am without waking up the neighbors either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts