ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just thought I'd throw something out there and see what response I get.

I currently have a Nissan 350z, but may be looking into a wrx (one of the dream cars I wish to own much like my 350) and i was just wondering if anyone was into drifting their wrx as I do enjoy drifting and would like to branch out and go for some awd drifting along with having the extra practicality of the wrx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yet it's not impossible, I have had quite a bit experience in rwd, not so much in awd, just wondered if anyone on here did it

·
Super Modulator
19,445 Posts
Wow congrats. You joined to post a video about a completely different car drifting.

The WRX's AWD system is significantly less capable than the STI. The viscous center diff will overheat and fail quickly. The WRX, which is really only a 2WD vehicle and certainly not ideal for 4 wheel drifts, will quickly become a 1WD vehicle.

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
I know since I purchased my wrx I've seen this topic come up a dozen or so times across multiple forums. The consensus is always the same. No.

Some know the answer is no because they understand how the awd system of the wrx works, other know because they knew better and found out the hard way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are talking about competing in a drift event than no not really. But if you are talking about breaking the rear end loose from time to time it can be done. The easiest way to get a WRX to break loose is the addition of a limited slip rear differential. The other issue will be getting a tuner to let you keep some low end torque. Most seem to tune on the side of safety or don't want the bad press for you breaking shafts or bending rods. I have near every bolt on upgrade and off the line it seems slower than stage 1 but 2nd and 3rd are amazing, especially 3rd. When I had an intake and muffler delete my WRX would damn near snap your neck on a Cobb OTS stage 1 tune. But it wasn't until I installed a Cusco 1.5 limited slip in the rear that I can now do donuts without fanning the clutch. Simply cut the wheel and stomp it from a roll with traction control off. Of course in the snow you can drive up a winding mountain road on the rev limiter drifting back and forth effortlessly on a stock setup and be totally in control with traction control off. Driving in snow with the traction control on severely limits your fun.

So it all depends on your definition of drifting????

You could probably find a spool to replace your center diff and make it rear wheel drive but then you would want the LSD in the back even more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are talking about competing in a drift event than no not really. But if you are talking about breaking the rear end loose from time to time it can be done. The easiest way to get a WRX to break loose is the addition of a limited slip rear differential. The other issue will be getting a tuner to let you keep some low end torque. Most seem to tune on the side of safety or don't want the bad press for you breaking shafts or bending rods. I have near every bolt on upgrade and off the line it seems slower than stage 1 but 2nd and 3rd are amazing, especially 3rd. When I had an intake and muffler delete my WRX would damn near snap your neck on a Cobb OTS stage 1 tune. But it wasn't until I installed a Cusco 1.5 limited slip in the rear that I can now do donuts without fanning the clutch. Simply cut the wheel and stomp it from a roll with traction control off. Of course in the snow you can drive up a winding mountain road on the rev limiter drifting back and forth effortlessly on a stock setup and be totally in control with traction control off. Driving in snow with the traction control on severely limits your fun.

You could probably find a spool to replace your center diff and make it rear wheel drive but then you would want the LSD in the back even more.
By drifting i dont mean competition level, i just mean a fun weekend loss of traction around some corners. How much would it cost to be able to get the car to be able to do this, can the stock diff take it or would i need an LSD?? Can you put more of a rear bias in the car somehow?? i do like drifting but would like to try it with an awd setup (if possible) as well as having the extra practicality of a WRX and also the car looks amazing. My only other question would be, how is the handling on a WRX because thats the main downfall with the current car i have

·
Super Modulator
19,445 Posts

The Cusco 1.5way rear LSD is a great addition and is how the WRX should come from the factory. It will certainly help with traction on power-on coming out of corners when the weight transfer will load the rear suspension.

HOWEVER

What you are saying regarding drifting is not quite correct. Drifting implies prolonged periods of traction loss. Your center LSD is still a viscous coupling on the 6MT. The viscous coupling mechanism fails after prolonged slippage. Luckily when the viscous mechanism fails, the differential defaults to an open diff. The car will be driveable, but the functionality of the AWD system will be severely compromised. The STI with its electromagnetic clutch coupling and mechanical LSD mechanism isn't prone to the same failures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Handling on the WRX is great and on the track I find that on the stock diff/setup the car sticks quite well/handles best when run in the normal traction control on position. But depending on your tires, near the end of your 2nd session on the track your tires can get hot and greasy enough that if you completely turn traction control off the rear end will/can slip and slide around corners.

Though I would strongly recommend the VERY first upgrade you do be a big brake conversion and acquire some performance pads. The Cadillac Brembo conversion is the least expensive and works great. Do a search.
If you do decide to track your car you will thank yourself.

Like I said before stock form in the snow it will break loose in the rear easily. In the rain not so much even with traction control off. On dry pavement not at all unless seriously heated up on the track. And if you upgrade to wider wheels/tires it will be even harder.

With the LSD in the back breaking loose is much easier to do.
Cusco Limited Slip Differential - 2015-2018 WRX
LSD 183 L15​
1​
$1,260.00​
that price was from Subispeed. Installation not too difficult but be prepared to do some pneumatic grinding. The casting for the bearing caps must be ground down a decent amount as well as a small amount on the left inside of the diff housing.

There is NO WAY to adjust the rear bias on a 15+ WRX with the stock transmission.

You would have to purchase an STI drivetrain. There are many threads to be found on the subject, but plan on $4-6K just on parts ............................

depending whether you opt for and aftermarket DCCD control.
MAP-DCCD
Our Price: $415.00 OR
DCCDPro Spiider with iWire Plug and play Kit for Subaru
SKU: PP-SUDS001
$559.99Price

With the LSD installed in the rear my WRX will get sideways in the rain like a RWD car but the fronts pulling keep you in control.

If you are mechanically inclined or have good friends that are great. If not join a local Subie Club and find some new friends that are.

I love my WRX, but the lack of bias adjustment is the only thing missing. But it seriously saves money on tires!!!!!

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
The factory brakes are fine with the correct pads and rotors. People track with them all the time.

I don't care how much or what lsd you have in the back it will torch the center diff. "Swapping an STI drivetrain" is not a reality for most people as it will cost nearly as much as the car in the end I've seen total swaps in excess of 14k.

Drifting in a wrx is not a reality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts