Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 2 - The pressure sensor install. I installed the Apexi oil pressure sensor by 'T'-ing off the stock oil pressure sensor. I do not know the exact workings of the stock sensor. i.e. I don't know if it can simply be removed and replaced or exactly what system the stock oil pressure sensor interfaces with. My guess is that it is wired into the Check Engine diagnostics.

Anyway, to install the 'T' assembly and new sensor I had to remove the alternator. The sensor is located below the alternator near the power steering pump on the engine block. I did not remove any battery cables or power to the alternator but please do the mod at your own risk, using what safety procedures you are comfortable with. To remove the alternator you'll need a 10mm and 12mm wrench or socket. First remove the fan belt shroud that covers all the belts by removing the (2) 10mm bolts. Then I released some tension on the belt by adjusting the 12mm alternator tension bolt. I then removed the 12mm
alternator pivot bolt. When this bolt is removed two retainer pieces come off, the one on the front is a rest for the belt shroud and the back retainer piece has a bolt welded to it. I then removed the 12mm bolt that holds the alternator to the tension bolt. Now I jiggled the alternator out of its place and rested in on top of the engine.

The sensors and 'T':

With the alternator removed access to the sensor is easy and wide open. I removed the OEM sensor and disconnected the wire. I then teflon taped all threads and installed my 'T' assmebly into the OEM sensor location. I then placed the sensors onto the 'T' and attempted to reinstall the alternator. It is a tight fit and actually the alternator would fit but I couldn't get it to sit low enough to get the belt back on. The size of the Apexi sensor and the OEM sensor is to large to allow proper fit of the alternator. So it all came off again. This time I went and got a 90degree bend and some tubing and fittings to act as an extension for the Apex sensor. I then re-orientated the OEM sensor on the 'T' and installed the tubing and fittings. I was able to gently bend the tubing to get it our of the way:

Doing this allowed me to get the alternator in with plenty of room to get the belt on and everything back and bolted down tight. Re-installation of the alternator is actually quite easy with the tension assembly. The alternator did kind of have to be 'tapped' in to place, it fits nice and snug.

Since I had run the sensor harness into the engine compartment in Part 1 of the gauge pod
install all in needed to do was plug the sensor into the harness and cable tie the harness down. Once I fired the engine the warning light on the Apex gauge went away. My gauge reads in kPa x100. So at idle my gauge reads about 1.5-2.0 (kPa x100=150-200kPa) and just taking a quick ride around the block when running about 5.50-6.5 (kPa x100= 550-650kPA). So I think converting this,
at idle I am running about 22-29psi and under normal running conditions about 80-94psi. Is that right? Pressures are a bit higher until the engine warms up as well. My gauge only goes to 800kPa or about 116psi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The silence is deafining in here. I have a few more DIY mods but I am wondering if I should put them up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jjameson - great tutorial. I haven't got around to buying one myself, but when the time comes I know where to get help with the install.

If you have any other tips please post'em!

-Anders

·
Registered
47 Posts
jjameson...I'll be doing my oil pressure gauge install soon and this will be a BIG help. Thanks for posting it and keep them coming!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
first off, great tutorial. But did you know that in the front of the engine, above the header you will see 2 plugs that use a 12mm allen wrench. These access the main oil galley going to/from the oil pump. When I installed the factory gauge pack, a mechanic recommended that I use one of these plugs for the oil temp sensor instead of the oil drain plug. I would think that this would be an easier place to put the oil presure sender too.

If I can get access to a digital cameral, I will post pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts