Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

A WRX is going to be in my future for sure, but I had a few questions:
I can't seem to find a concrete answer, is a stage 2 protuned car safe with the CVT? Assuming I've gone to the effort of a CVT cooler

And in general what made the CVT owners choose that trans? The car would be my daily, lightly modded and occasional autocross

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,914 Posts
I just had my ‘16 CVT tuned. There is a limit based on TQ and heat. I recommend the F1 Motorsports cooler over the Mishimoto. It adds about 2 extra qts of trans oil.
Mine is a daily driver as well. Bring it to someone with plenty of CVT experience. Not easy to find. I can’t speak for reliability yet, but you’ll want to tune it fairly conservatively. Mine is at 278 WHP / 275 WTQ. I know there is a nice build on Nasioc (Bellitopen) that is a higher HP/TQ example and has run well for several years. Feel free to check out my build for all the parts installed or PM for any other questions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My next question for CVT owners: in sport sharp, when downshifting via paddles, does the engine blip the throttle a little? I could swear I heard it when I test drove one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
It shouldn’t as the transmission is constantly engaged.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,914 Posts
S# simulates 8 gears vs S which simulates 6 gears. S# will also do some rev matching under moderate to heavy braking. It’s the most obvious ‘shifting’ of the 3 modes. It does have a simulated type blipping I guess you could say.

Edit: I would also add I didn’t use S# mode much until after my tune. It’s less clumsy now & more enjoyable. Likely from the more linear power.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
S# simulates 8 gears vs S which simulates 6 gears. S# will also do some rev matching under moderate to heavy braking. It’s the most obvious ‘shifting’ of the 3 modes. It does have a simulated type blipping I guess you could say.

Edit: I would also add I didn’t use S# mode much until after my tune. It’s less clumsy now & more enjoyable. Likely from the more linear power.
Do you have to be wringing it out to see that? The one I test drove didn’t do that at all. Does it unlock the torque convertor or just an artifact from the simulated gear change?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you mind me asking what is keeping you from a manual transmission ?
I've been driving stick since I was 16, and while I really enjoy it, for a car I'll be driving to work every day and taking on road trips, a auto sounds more pleasant in the long run

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,914 Posts
Do you have to be wringing it out to see that? The one I test drove didn’t do that at all. Does it unlock the torque convertor or just an artifact from the simulated gear change?
No, not really...just moderate acceleration. I’m not positive HOW it works...suspect it’s the simulated gear change.

EDIT: adding to that...more progressive acceleration rather than just mashing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts