Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this morning in Minneapolis is FREEZING. I mean FREEZING. I've never had it this cold ever since I got the car.

So...I get into the car and start it. It starts horribly. It sounds horrible. Putting down the clutch is like pushing your foot into sticky syrup. Moving the gearstick is like rowing in sticky syrup. Coming off the clutch in neutral and stationary elicits this growling from the engine. All of this went away after 10 minutes when the car was heated up, but it took 10 minutes! It's sooo cold!!

WRX + cold = BAD.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah, the winter time sucks for this car, and just about every car for that matter, that is until is fully warmed up. I usually try to let my car warm up a few minutes before leaving my parking spot. I hate the noises in the winter time it makes too, I can't wait for it to be spring time.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
WilliamG said:
I hate you ebr0t. This morning made me really hate you.

:D
lol, high is 60 today, which i consider pretty cool, som days have highs of high 50's during the day and 40's in the morning, 30s maybe at night. but thats bout as cold as it gets. saturday night at the meet everyone was freezing, we didnt know that it was going to be so darn cold out. I was in my clubwrx shirt and jeans... COLD :mad: :(

·
Registered
555 Posts
BUT.... turbo + cold = :D

It's a trade-off. In the crisp morning air, I feel the turbo being much more responsive than in the humidity of the summer.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...weather.com says it's 1F, and feels like -11F. Whatever...it's bloody freezing!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Why don't you let the car warm up for 5 or 10 minutes before you drive it? I usually start mine and let it run while I'm getting ready for work.

Quicksilver, I agree with you on that one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Minneapolis is one of the coolest cities and I would love to live there to be closer to my parents who live in Des Moines, IA. But DAMN it gets cold up there. That is the only thing that keeps my wife and I from moving there. We need more global warming! :)

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
junaitari said:
Why don't you let the car warm up for 5 or 10 minutes before you drive it? I usually start mine and let it run while I'm getting ready for work.

Quicksilver, I agree with you on that one.
Some people live in an appartment where the car is a bit of a walk away! Yeah right I'm going to leave my car running and get ready for work. In MINNEAPOLIS!?! NEVER! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Sure glad I don't live where ebr0t lives. I love cold weather. Winter is my favorite season. I was up in Northern Wyoming last winter and it was -30 one morning when I woke up. I was in heaven but my Isuzu rental was absolutely hating it! I'd just run outside, start it up, then go back inside to take a shower and get dressed! It was good-to-go when I did actually leave! But in Greybull everyone just left the car running. I'd go to breakfast and the diner's parking lot would be full of running cars. Small town living definitely has it's advantages! Actually living anywhere that's not crime-ridden has its advantages. I don't worry about leaving my car running for a couple of minutes most places in Denver.

William:

Get a block heater if you can park close enough to an outlet to run an extension cord. Then switch to Mobile 1 0w-30 oil. And leave for work 5 minutes earlier so you can let the car warm up a little instead of just jumping in and taking off.

Chris

·
Registered
649 Posts
WilliamG said:
Some people live in an appartment where the car is a bit of a walk away! Yeah right I'm going to leave my car running and get ready for work. In MINNEAPOLIS!?! NEVER! :eek: :eek:
You don't have to leave it alone...

Like GV27 said, you can leave 5 minutes earlier and sit in it while it warms up. I can let mine run because I live in a small town and own a house with a driveway. I sometimes forget that some people don't have that luxury. Sorry.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm nowhere near an outlet. I'm switching to Mobil 1 at 10K which is what I'm supposed to do, right? Currently using whatever Subaru put in at every oil change. I'm at 5500miles.

I'm hopefully going to have a house from May/June with a garage, so I'll certainly get an block heater then.

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, and I always let it warm up a little before I drive it. It's just that this morning was SO bad and so shocking to me that I posted.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Well, nobody really agrees when the best time to switch to Synthetic. I did on mine at the first oil change.

I'd think that just about everyone would agree, however, that what little extra break-in benefit waiting to 10k would be far outweighed by the benefits of getting that 0 weight flowing when it's super cold like that.

While synthetic supposedly has good flow characteristics at cold temperatures, it is really the opportunity to move to the 0 weight in extreme cold that is the upside. I don't know of anyone making 0 weight organic oil.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
WilliamG said:
So what's your opinion? If you were me....?
run 0 to 5 weight to ensure that your block isgeting that lube from the pan as quick as possible in the cold.

i'd switch to syn on your next change b/c of it's better lube properties in extreme temp conditions.

but all in all, at 5500 miles, you're rings have been sealed for over 5000 miles. so you might as well.
dR

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
WilliamG,

I live in Ky. and its a beech right now too!

BUT, I suffer to let the car reach operating temp before I budge!

(PLUS,I got a garage and I think it makes the dam thing COLDER!)

Im gonna do what GV27 sayes and go snyth. at first oil change (not my 1000 mile newcar "cleanout")

I really believe cold start take offs (less than 5min.warmups) are puttin more wear on stuff than the trip to wherever.

.02 Shotgun

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You could get a turbo timer, then set it to run the engine for 5 minutes, get out, lock the doors, and take the keys with you :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts