ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, so my 2002 WRX is a total change for me in the car scene. I'm really into building Honda's and making them fast etc, now i wanted my WRX for the fact that its AWD, boosted and its a four door!... So i have had hondas all the time, couldn't keep doing it tho because i hate to worry about my car getting stolen everywhere i went. Now one of my favorite cars was my 1995 Honda Civic with a 2000 Civic Si engine (b16a2/1.6L) i bolted up an eBay turbo kit, with a "50 trim" turbo and of course ALL of my fuel upgrades and proper tuning. That car was tuned at 20psi on a street tune lasted me forever, until the turbo gave out which was about a year later. car was great, fast, reliable and i loved it!! i actually sold the car still running NA.. NOW i have my WRX and after reading and reading on forums, here and on NASIOC, i get the idea that these cars are worthless for making power???!!! WTF???!!! this is really starting to shoot me down. all i keep reading is build the block, buy some cams, build the tranny because ****s weak!! i should have done research before buying the car, but i just couldn't beat the price i got for......
somebody please give me hope and tell me what i can do to make good power on my stock car, i do plan on upgrading turbo and injectors of course. but what can it actually handle?? how much power?? are the trannies really that weak?? i need more info.... on the EJ20 please
JUST A HEADS UP I'M AIMING FOR ABOUT 300-350HP...
and i did try to search threads for stock block power but found nothing to relative to my topic, well at least nothing recent it doesnt help that most of the threads i read are from back in 2001-2005.. need updates for myself... thank you guys

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Was there a question in there somewhere?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any help is good help for me, pointers, products, links, videos lol ANYTHING WILL HELP ME... thanks in advance

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What do your compression/leakdown test results look like?

Are your number goals bhp or whp?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've honestly been busy, haven't had a chance for compression test.. baby shower is killing me lol... But I will most likely try and do that tomorrow, I have to get my tester back tonight

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe there are many people who run stock blocks at 300-350 WHP... Sinister, a mod on here, has been for a while I think, but if you beat the piss out of it of course it's not going got last. Big diesels are built insanely strong but will still break if abused.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SKI.WRX said:
I believe there are many people who run stock blocks at 300-350 WHP... Sinister, a mod on here, has been for a while I think, but if you beat the piss out of it of course it's not going got last. Big diesels are built insanely strong but will still break if abused.
2.0L is quite a but different than the 2.5L...

Also, 300whp on one dyno may be 250-260whp on another.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will only be putting my car on a dynojet dyno, which reads more accurate, the mustang dyno reads low, but no matter which one I'm on what I make, is what I make

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Mr.Bug_02 said:
I will only be putting my car on a dynojet dyno, which reads more accurate, the mustang dyno reads low, but no matter which one I'm on what I make, is what I make

BOOST FIEND!!!
How does a Dynojet read more accurately than a Mustang?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I've had mine at 300whp for 5 years. Just went to 380whp.

But I have a 6spd tranny, and the ej25 block.

On a 2.0L... I wouldn't go higher than the 16gXT turbo, or EVOIII 16g turbo.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

BOOST FIEND!!!
Where are you located?

And no Dyno reads more accurately than another. It has to do with correction factors, altitude, engine efficiency, forced induction, drivetrain loss, etc. etc. etc... We can go into that if you want, but there is no dyno more accurate than another.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I meant about "whatever it makes is what it makes" a mustang dyno shows a lower number than a dynojet.. that's just known. But if I tune my car on a dynojet and I hit 300 and if I go to a mustang dyno and it reads 250, it doesn't matter the car will still perform like it should...
BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as I build the car or do the proper upgrades and my tuner makes it fast, safe and reliable.. the car will perform like I want it.. that's what I mean about no matter what dyno its tuned on it doesn't matter.. I just want to know what MY engine, ej20, can handle from anyone's personal experience or may know someone that does..

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
dyno numbers really dont mean squat.. your et and trap speed will give you more of a Idea how much real world performance you gain with mods. The dyno is only a tool to take a measurement to be used as a reference for comparison of future numbers.

I've met cars that make 500+hp on the dyno but felt and ran quite slow.. vs cars that run 300hp on the dyno and decimate all..

remember now you have traction vs running the honda wrong wheel drive.. even at a paltry 250whp this car will feel and be pretty effin quick. I see no reason why you cant make 300whp out of the 2.0 though.. lots of guys have done it preceding you. Lots I'm sure will do it after you do. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly HP is just a number, the way the car performs is what counts.. and I will be happy with 300-350 on my engine.. so hopefully I can make it happen

BOOST FIEND!!!

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts