ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 WRX that is kinda unique. It has an automatic TRANNY.
It also has the big red SUBARU brakes usually seen on '06 STIs, also leather, roof and best factory sound system.
I have a wife and we frequently need to swap cars. I need our bigger OUTback for our Real Estate rehabbing operations and she must drive the WRX.
I knew the clutch would be tore up from a new driver on the hills of SW PA so I am compromising.

After owning this car 3 years with zero problems since '09 and 16K on the odometer <now 29K> I HAVE DECIDED TO DO SOME MODS.

1st step Cobb tuning ecu and Perrin Cold Air intake.

I am very happy with this.

My Qs:

Is there anyone out there w/advice on the automatic transmission?
Special fluids, filters etc?
I do not race this car> just drive assertively.
Also, I seek advice on exhausts. There are units from Borla, Cobb, Turbo XS etc .
Cat back good enuff? How much more work? $$? HP? value in installing a Turboback system?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Welcome. first off ewwwwww auto tranny lol second with the exhaust they dont do much for performance but the do make the cars sound better. I have an invidia exhaust and i love it, makes the car sound great

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are using invidia exhaust. Is that cat back?
It seems to me anyone replacing the complete exhaust would need some kinda cat convertor or they would fail inspection> I live in PA>

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I have an invidia catback but also an invidia catted DP as well. Not sure if it will pass inspection but havent had to check it yet

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
DP is downpipe, the piece connecting the turbo to the catback. Ive dont think you will have a problem if you put an exhaust the cat is what matters for emissions

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks> I am happy w/ Perrin cold air intake and cobb stage 1 tune. Maybe next months project> new purple trans fluid, tranny filter (cooler?). After that I am leaning towards a Borla Exhaust> cat back for sound and perhaps better breathing of the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah for exhausts its recommended to go to car meets and listen to different exhausts in person. videos can be misleading

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I own a 2006 WRX that is kinda unique. It has an automatic TRANNY.
It also has the big red SUBARU brakes usually seen on '06 STIs, also leather, roof and best factory sound system.
I have a wife and we frequently need to swap cars. I need our bigger OUTback for our Real Estate rehabbing operations and she must drive the WRX.
I knew the clutch would be tore up from a new driver on the hills of SW PA so I am compromising.

After owning this car 3 years with zero problems since '09 and 16K on the odometer <now 29K> I HAVE DECIDED TO DO SOME MODS.

1st step Cobb tuning ecu and Perrin Cold Air intake.

I am very happy with this.

My Qs:

Is there anyone out there w/advice on the automatic transmission?
Special fluids, filters etc?
I do not race this car> just drive assertively.
Also, I seek advice on exhausts. There are units from Borla, Cobb, Turbo XS etc .
Cat back good enuff? How much more work? $$? HP? value in installing a Turboback system?
I Had an '02 WRX with the 4EAT and used nothing but AmsOil synthetic in everything and it seemed to work out fine, It now has 219,500 Miles on it and engine, turbo and trany still original and never touched... You also need to go stage 2 with a DP to wake the car up as the stall speed of the TC is too low for fast take offs... JMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which DP would you recommend?
I agree amsoil is good stuff. What was your oil change interval? I want to keep my WR blue wrx sedan 4ever! At least 200k!! Now @ 29K.
How often did you change trans fluid, trans filter?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
I'm going to jump in here and throw some good info your way. :D

First, those brakes, were standard on the 06/07 WRXs only, and they were the Japanese STi Brakes from before the GD model change (happened in 01 in japan). They also were the brakes that one could find on the 300zx Turbo. So that means brake pads are actually pretty cheap! :D

Our engine (the EJ255) is actually known for being very stout considering. The stock car produces about 180whp. My car is on the stock engine, and I managed 442whp on a dynojet last week. 3x the power as stock, and my engine has 75k on it. It's a very good engine.

Your transmission is also rock solid. The 4EAT (your transmission code) is known for holding up to 400-450whp, and some have gone even further. A common early modification for the 4EAT owners is a different torque converter (high stall). Because of the way that an auto transmission works, you have a lot more turbo lag than a manual car when you're gunning it off of the line. If you get a high stall torque converter (also called TC) then you can put your RPMs closer to boost (or even in boost!) and you'll end up having a more reliable, consistant, and smoother launch than us manual transmission guys.

My opinion is... get a downpipe, keep the stock catback (your wife will love you). Get a high stall TC, and then get a pro tune. If you have E85 in your area, you can get a second map for E85, but you'll need a new fuel pump as well (only 100 bucks). E85 gained me 50whp. On a stock turbo, you'd probably get at least 30whp.

As far as fluids... Use the Subaru OEM ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and use any form of synthetic engine oil that is GF-4 or GF-5 rated. I personally use Shell Rotella T5 oil. I don't believe in Amsoil's products personally. Make sure you're not wasting money and changing your oil any sooner than 5k. Your engine on a stock turbo with good engine oil will hold up great at 5k+ miles per change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know from e85.
I just reflashed the ecu to stage 1 to better coordinate w/ Perrin cold air intake.
Speaking w/ Rallysport they said I would just reflash to stage 2 w/ catback added. Would I do this keeping stock exhaust while adding a DP?
Also which DP have you used.

I really appreciate your comments/suggestions.
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, while I have your expert attention:
Thoughts on after market extra capacity intercooler;
Transmission coolers?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
You flash to stage 2 with downpipe. You don't do any flashing with a catback.

If you're going to go any further beyond your stock turbo, then an intercooler is a must.

If you're planning on going any further than a VF series or 18g turbo, or if you're planning on track days, I'd consider an aftermarket transmission oil cooler, as well as getting valve upgrades for your 4EAT. Some people also say that clutch pack upgrades are a must with larger turbos. I don't have a 4eat, so I'm not 100% when the clutch packs start to slip.

Here is a good reference to the 4eat. The guy's writing seems like he's an 18 year old kid, but almost all of the information in here is stuff that I've found to be true. There are only a few things I'd disagree on, but none of them should affect you.
Xcceleration 4EAT 101

1 - 16 of 16 Posts