Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I want an sti, but I likely can't afford one at this point in time. I do however, believe I can afford a wrx. I think it would be fun to go through the upgrade process but I wouldn't be able to do all the upgrades. From what I hear it's definitely more expensive to go that route (which is expected), though I'd like to get rid of my current car as soon as I reasonably can as is has issues.

My question is, do you guys think I should get a wrx and upgrade it in order to get out of my current car sooner, or should I stick it out until I can afford the sti? (For clarification, I CAN deal with my current car. I just really hate it, it's not fun to drive, and don't want to deal with the hassle of worrying about when and what will break next)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,426 Posts
If you can't afford the sti you can't afford the modified wrx.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you can't afford the sti you can't afford the modified wrx.
+1 . . . A regular plain Jane WRX bought brand new isn't a whole lot less than a STI (well a few thousand dollars so I guess saying it isn't a "whole lot less" is truly a matter of opinion) . . . although of course buying used changes things . . . but you may be buying more problems . . .

Sounds like your present car is not fun to drive and is unreliable, but you do not have a lot of extra money.

If I were you . . .

If you truly are concerned that the present car is a money pit and want something more reliable and fun and have a decent downpayment/can swing the payments I might suggest purchasing a new, base WRX and leaving it unmolested until it is paid off or the warranty expires.

If you truly are concerned that the present car is a money pit and want something more reliable and fun, but don't have the funds . . . I might suggest a decent used Accord, Civic, etc. that you can drive for a few years and have a reasonable expectation that it will not nickle and dime you to death and in the meanwhile start putting money aside for a hefty downpayment towards a STI if that's what you really want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might suggest a decent used Accord, Civic, etc. that you can drive for a few years and have a reasonable expectation that it will not nickle and dime you to death and in the meanwhile start putting money aside for a hefty downpayment towards a STI if that's what you really want.
The funny thing is, the car I have right now is an accord. Thing about it is that first off, it's not the v6, but more importantly it's super unreliable. Idk what the previous owners did to it but it gives me problems all the time. It hasn't nickel and dimed me quite yet because it's still under the extra warranty i bought from carmax, but every time i encounter a problem (which so far is several times per year) it's like pulling teeth to get carmax to fix it.

·
Æternum
15,859 Posts
This hasn't even been stated yet...

What year WRX and what year STI?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This hasn't even been stated yet...

What year WRX and what year STI?
I'd very likely want to do 2015+ for both options, though the exact year isn't a huge concern for me. I just like the design a lot more than the older models.

·
Æternum
15,859 Posts
I'd very likely want to do 2015+ for both options, though the exact year isn't a huge concern for me. I just like the design a lot more than the older models.

Then yes, if modifying is your goal, the STI is the better option.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you're smaller stature, and don't need awd, a 2019 Civic Si is a great choice. It's quick and has an incredible gearbox.

Whatever you decide, if you can comfortably afford the payments, buy new. New cars can still have problems but used cars are much more likely to have them. Just don't buy a used Subaru WRX or Sti.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I second ChristopherWRX's suggestion of a Civic Si as a less expensive but still very fun to drive alternative to a WRX.

I looked long and hard at the Civic Si before finally buying a WRX last week. I've owned 9 Hondas in my life and have long been a fan, and was all set to buy a 2019 Civic Si. It's a lot of car for the money (shop around and you can get one for around $22.5-$24k). It's a lot of fun to drive yet still practical, and reportedly gets great real-world gas mileage. The performance from the 1.5 liter turbo engine is nothing less than remarkable, and the car has a fresh, modern design (though beauty is always in the eye of the beholder).

In the end it wasn't the right choice for me, for the reason ChristopherWRX said: it's the best fit if you're of 'smaller stature'. I'm not. I'm 'older' (>60) and 'not small' (6' and 210-ish lbs). The Civic Si has factory 'sport seats' that are clearly designed for someone much smaller (and probably also younger) than I am. On the Civic Si forums, other 'not small' people also comment on the seats not being comfortable.

Like ChristopherWRX said, it's not AWD. If FWD would work for you (depending on what winters are like where you live), you could probably get a Civic Si for around $10k less than a WRX. If it appeals to you, I'd suggest taking one for a few long test drives to make sure you're comfortable in the seats.

On youtube 'savage geese' has great reviews of both the Civic Si and the WRX.

FWIW, I had a lot of frustrations with Honda dealers. 4 different dealers all played the same game with me: I got a price by email, and when I followed though and tried to buy the car, was told the price I was given was a 'mistake', and the actual price was substantially higher (around $1,000). I don't think it's a coincidence that 4 separate dealers all tried this. Serendipitously, this had a lot to do with my ending up with a WRX. If the first Honda dealer I went to had been straight with the price, I probably have bought the car before I had a chance to spend more seat time in it and discover how uncomfortable it was for me. It was my frustrating experiences with Honda dealers that gave me the chance to spend more time with the Civic Si and find out the seats didn't work for me, and led me to look at the WRX.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts