Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX (Add 2.2L Turbo and the Neon SRT4 looks silly)

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  wrxracer 
#1 ·
I can't believe noone beat me to this silly post. The 2.2L turbo is very doable. Actually has been done. I believe the fastest time posted by a WRX was one sporting a 2.2L closed deck turbo ( 10 sec 1/4). Adding AWD to an SRT-4 is still just fantasy. Beat to death already!!!!!!

#4 ·
2.2 turbo WRX? it has been done!
GC8E2SD
and it is called 22B STi.
cost=50,000
why? because there are only 400 of them,,,

ok back to reality,,,, last timeI checked with Dan @ godspeed, I think he quoted me a 2.4 stroke kit for 5G range, that shoule build a moster.

#5 ·
ok ok ok ok ok, SRT-4 <------- add zippo and will still make the WRX look silly in a straight line, increase boost and silly turns to crazy, kooky silly.....

#6 ·
Add zippo?? Not sure what that means. You need to come back to reality.

Reality:

WRX has AWD

Neon does not.

Quit saying "add blah blah blah to such and such car and it would smoke the WRX."

Why not say: "Add a friggen rocket jet to a bathtub and it would kill a Viper in a straight line!!"

As for 2.2L turbos I will have one shortly. How about 2.5L? There are tons of those guys running around here in the states. I'm still not sure what your point is.

#7 ·
I'm not sure what the quibbling is about either. You are right, neon doesn't have AWD....therefore with more torque and more power to the wheels...stock vs stock...the WRX is going to get whipped from anything other than a standing start...bad. In "reality," this is obvious.

VV

P.S. Not everyone needs or wants AWD. Even though Subaru tells you so, it is not the end-all/be-all they make it out to be. Great for balls to the wall launches and great for adverse weather (a must have for me), but like I said...not for everyone.

silverscooby said:
Add zippo?? Not sure what that means. You need to come back to reality.

Reality:

WRX has AWD

Neon does not.

Quit saying "add blah blah blah to such and such car and it would smoke the WRX."

Why not say: "Add a friggen rocket jet to a bathtub and it would kill a Viper in a straight line!!"

As for 2.2L turbos I will have one shortly. How about 2.5L? There are tons of those guys running around here in the states. I'm still not sure what your point is.

#8 ·
Yup, not everyone wants AWD. I would have to agree that anything than a standing start and the SRT-4 would be significantly faster in a straight line. Do the math, 300 lbs. weight advantage and 20 - 30 bhp / torque advantage....like I said, it could be 'silly' without the SRT-4 needing anything (ie: with it needing 'zippo' 'nada' 'nilt' etc). Go have a look at how many people race in here and brag about their kills etc....the majority of them are straight line races....well imho the SRT-4 will make the WRX look 'silly' stock vs. stock. Yes the 0 - 60 times and 1/4 miles may be similar but anything other than a standing start and the SRT-4 will pull away quite easily imho....

ahhh, gas to the fire...burn baby....burrrrrrnnnnnnnn

#9 ·
You guys are arguing about a car that isn't even being sold yet. That means nobody knows how fast it actually will be. For all we know, Dodge could be giving these magazines a faster car so that people will pre-order them and boost sales. When they get the car into production, it could be watered down. It's stupid to say that a non-production car is going to be faster when you haven't even seen one except in a magazine. Besides, I still won't buy a car because it's "faster" than my WRX. I like it too much.

#10 · (Edited)
The car is in production. The facts are: 2,800 lbs. 2.4 litre turbo running between 10 - 15 psi (boost depending on gear rpm etc) will be very fast. Simple. Yes there are other variables but at the end of the day the above factors make it fast, only question is how fast :)

PS: Once again I state that there is no way I would buy one of these over a USA WRX let alone my JDM Sti-7. All the other facors ie: AWD etc make the WRX a much better package even for the 5 - 6k more $, but I still stand by the fact that in a straight line the USA WRX will look 'silly.'

#12 ·
That's great! I mean, more competition for us REX'ers. It's all well and good if someone wants to buy the SRT-4 and mod the hell out of it. I'm happy that the domestics are coming out with something for the tuners. I'm not happy, however, that they chose a neon. But at a reasonable price, it'll be owned by many a tuner out there. I don't care if it can beat me in a straight line, or whether I can beat this or that car. I'm only concerned at how fast I can go. If they mod it, great! If they turn it into a ricer, I'm gonna beat on the hood of the car with a baseball bat!:mad:

#13 ·
The SRT-4 should be fairly quick, about the same as the WRX. But I wonder how stout the engine really is, and how good the chassis of that car is? Anyway, just wondering. Plus I hope to god I dont get beat by that thing when they hit the streets, If I do by some fluke get beat by that thing :rolleyes: , I will go into withdrawls, possibly drop a S/C LS6 engine in my Rex:cool:

#14 ·
I've already seen a couple neons with SRT4 badges on them...man rice can be found anywhere.

I'd love to build my motor up to a 2.2 as well, but what relation does this have to the SRT4 other than the displacement?

Two totally different cars that were designed with the enthusiast in mind. We can all get along :D
To think a few years back the only affordable imports that we had were GSRs and GSTs. I personally welcome manufacturers to continue to build performance orientated machines, this will invariably lead to better performance for the consumer down the road.

#15 ·
Glad to see that some are looking at the SRT-4 in a slightly nicer view.

I am sorry to say that it will be faster than a WRX in a straight line stock vs. stock. Standing start it will be close but rolling start and the SRT-4 will pull a good mark ahead by 60, 70 etc mph...imho....just look at the numbers, weight vs. bhp, torque, etc

No worries though it is still a FWD car and its a NEON; however, one can not argue that it is superb value for money. under 6 secs 0 - 60 for under 20k....very nice imho :) well done Dodge !

WRX and STI's are still the BOMB though !

#16 ·
I saw the Feb '03 edition of SCC at the Subaru Tuner here in Dallas, TX (Forced Induction Systems). They measured the AT WHEEL hp of the SRT4 to be 223 hp! Do you think Dodge is under stating their hp (kind of like Chevy did with the LS1 Z28's)? If so, that car's engine hp is more in the neighborhood of 250hp. Either that or they submitted a pre-production cheater to generate hype (which some car manufacturers are guilty of). Who knows? Just gotta wait for the production models to hit the streets.

Like Razor said, though, on paper the credentials are there -low weight, big torque curve, big hp, front mounted intercooler. Also FWD does have lower drivetrain losses than AWD which is an advantage in the higher speeds.

#17 ·
Sorry, I think it was the January 03 issue of SCC where I read that. It was the big $20k car comparison of those 8 compact cars (Protege, Spec V. Mini Cooper S, SRT4, Civic Si, etc). Did anybody else read that?

#18 ·
Yea I read it. That is where all this started from. I posted after reading the info about the SRT-4. They have understated the BHP figure for sure. This is basically what I was trying to say when I first posted but I guess the 'silly' thing upset a few people (which was not my intention). I was just amazed at the performance this car is going to give for under $20,000 fully loaded with every option (which is only two I think :)

It's going to be very fast, 2,800 lbs. and 250 ft. lbs. of torque is UK STi fast, 6 speed gear box or not. Remember the UK Sti is 3,100 - 3,150 lbs with 255 ft lbs. of torque, not sure if the 6 speed will compenstate for the etc 300 lbs. of weight. Yes the UK Sti may be faster to 60 mph becuase of AWD lauch but imho the SRT-4 will be very close if not faster from a rolling start...scary really when you think that the UK STi probably will be starting at $35,000 in the USA ! Again, there are many other things that make the STi overall a hugely better package; however, when you are cruising at 45 mph in a $35,000 STI and a kid in a $20,000 SRT-4 pull ups next to you and floors it and you can't blow by him then this would bother a few people imho....

Said it before will say it again 'I would not have a SRT-4 over a WRX; however, the SRT-4 is great value for money"

I can feel some people eyes slowing beginning to open...:)

Cheers,
Ray

#19 ·

Said it before will say it again 'I would not have a SRT-4 over a WRX; however, the SRT-4 is great value for money"

I can feel some people eyes slowing beginning to open...:)

Cheers,
Ray [/B]

I agree that it's opening other people's eyes. And their wallets. I just hope that the neon doesn't become the next civic because of the under $20,000 price tag. Let's just hope that some smart tuners get their hands on those.:D

#20 ·
I know that when they tested the SRT-4 that it didnt have any catalytic convertors and muffler. So the hp/torque rating may be slightly off. This is just what I have read, if anyone else has read the same thing, tell.

#21 ·
WRX said:

I agree that it's opening other people's eyes. And their wallets. I just hope that the neon doesn't become the next civic because of the under $20,000 price tag. Let's just hope that some smart tuners get their hands on those.:D

The typical person that is going to buy this car is going to be the kid who just sold his civic si. He is not going to know how to properly mod the car. They will put a MBC on, turn the boost up 5 psi (because that is the only way to make more power) and probably destroy their pistons. (what is EGT anyway) Or they will think because they have a hot car they can drive it like a racecar driver and will total it. But there will be some people who buy this car and mod it properly and make it extreemely fast.

Also about the cats, I really don't think they will sell the car without cats. The EPA would be all over their butt and it is against the law. We are not even supposed to touch the stock cats here in WA until the car has 50k miles unless they need changing. And no muffler? lol I don't think that would go well with the local PD or anywhere in CA.

How much hp does the WRX get with no cats or muffler? Maybe 20hp?

I think Dodge brought a special preproduction car for scc to drive and say how fast it is. They even had to have a team of mechanics/engineers there (probably so they could tweak stuff on the dyno to get the most hp) to look over the car. Something smells fishy.

p@

#22 ·
Once again, do the math, I don't give a monkeys about zorsts, cats etc on the test day, the below stats will make it fast, very fast:

Math:

2,800 lbs.
2.4 litres (yes a whole lot more torque low down will be achieved vs. the WRX 2.0 litre)
between 10 - 15 psi boost (depending on gear and rpm etc)

With the above a simple guesstimate will tell you that it will produce very nice torque and good bhp. The dodge mechanics would have to really fcuk things up to be running a 2.4 litre with 13 psi pf boost and a front mount intercooler at 2,800 lbs. to create a car that was not faster straight line than a 3,100 lb., 2.0 litre with the same boost level (yes I know that the unbelievable AWD with help with the launch a little). Simple math imho. Seriously let it go guys, the SRT-4 will be faster straight line but as said by many who cares to a certain degree as the overall package of the WRX is superior. The only people that have to worry are those that like to pull up to another car from standing start or freeway driving and race. If you are one of those people and you are stock and don't like to lose then don't pull next to a SRT-4....simple ! Sheeesh, open up your eyes, the SRT-4 will be fast, very fast !

#24 · (Edited)
The new Neon SRT-4 has huge potential. Any tuner with half a brain is going to be all over it with mods...the market to mod them will be huge. This is a car that (mark my words) will run 12sec 1/4 with ~3k$ in mods easily. The block is stout, oversquare ( more tq than hp ). It is a winner. Awesome platform to build up. a decent LSD on that car is going to drop it stock right into the 13's. sure its a NEON and I wouldnt trade my WRX for a fleet of them, but we are talking about a car whose raw performance numbers are equal to a WRX or a new 350Z for under 20k$! they are going to be everywhere for that price. Get used to it, things change. If the thought of a NEON revving on your stock WRX scares ya, time for a few mods. Just remember, next year it will be some other car that is cheaper/faster ect ect.

Its all good, enjoy the fact that there are more cheap, very fast, fun cars out there for everyone to enjoy! I'd rather be surrounded by SRT-4's and their like then all of the POS SUV's that litter the road.

Personally I am ecstatic that I have been able to build a 4 door sedan that is street legal, runs 12sec 1/4's and 0-60 in around 4sec, brakes as well as an 80k$ porsche, has outstanding handling, all weather prowess, 5 star saftey rating and all for about 33k$. We live in good times!

#25 ·
twinz....well said :)

#26 ·
twinz said:
The new Neon SRT-4 has huge potential. Any tuner with half a brain is going to be all over it with mods...the market to mod them will be huge. This is a car that (mark my words) will run 12sec 1/4 with ~3k$ in mods easily. The block is stout, oversquare ( more tq than hp ). It is a winner. Awesome platform to build up. a decent LSD on that car is going to drop it stock right into the 13's. sure its a NEON and I wouldnt trade my WRX for a fleet of them, but we are talking about a car whose raw performance numbers are equal to a WRX or a new 350Z for under 20k$! they are going to be everywhere for that price. Get used to it, things change. If the thought of a NEON revving on your stock WRX scares ya, time for a few mods. Just remember, next year it will be some other car that is cheaper/faster ect ect.

Its all good, enjoy the fact that there are more cheap, very fast, fun cars out there for everyone to enjoy! I'd rather be surrounded by SRT-4's and their like then all of the POS SUV's that litter the road.

Personally I am ecstatic that I have been able to build a 4 door sedan that is street legal, runs 12sec 1/4's and 0-60 in around 4sec, brakes as well as an 80k$ porsche, has outstanding handling, all weather prowess, 5 star saftey rating and all for about 33k$. We live in good times!
Amen!! Preach on brotha, preach on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.