ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
i have a WRX 2015 Manual 6th gears with 62000KM on it and use it as daily drive (no racing no driving no upgrade) and been driving manual since more than 32 Years recently i had a gear issue for un-known and i had to change the complete gear now the indicator is acting weird , when the gear is on 4th the indicator display 5th and when 5th it display 6th and when 6th it shows 6th,
anyone faced any issue similar?
the old gear had TY751VB9DA 840188 - JS While the new gear TY751VB9CA 833133 - JR
As per the mechanic i was informed that both are the same and no difference

·
Æternum
19,864 Posts
What wheels and tires are installed on the vehicle?

AFAIK, the gear indicator doesn't use any special sensors, just ECU logic with speed sensor and engine speed inputs.

Gear ratios for all VA WRXs are the same:

HOWEVER, the only other cable-operated 6spd produced by Subaru is the 6spd from the Legacy 2012-2014, and 5th and 6th gear are indeed taller with a taller final drive.

This brings me back to the original question -- since the gear indicator is calculation based, the only possible causes of this problem are:
1. Problems with engine speed calculation OR vehicle wheel speed sensor (possible but improbable)
2. Wheels and tires that are so mismatched from the designed size (answer first question)
3. The shop installed a Legacy transmission

# 3 is looking very likely based on what you've told us.

·
Æternum
19,864 Posts
It might behoove you to crawl under the car and take note of the Transmission casing code, post that code here.

I reread your initial post and you seem to indicate that the shop only replaced ONE GEAR. Is this what they told you? I wonder if the shop just found another transmission and installed it instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Thank you for your feedback
Please note
1 - the wheels size is 235/45/17
2 - the complete transmission was changed the old gear had TY751VB9DA 840188 - JS While the new gear TY751VB9CA 833133 - JR

·
Æternum
19,864 Posts
No idea. Those should be interchangeable. Did you actually verify on the sticker like I suggested in the prior reply, or are you repeating what they told you?

If it really bothers you, you can have someone tune the tables for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Zax and much appreciated really thanks

i verified the stickers and as per my finding the gear is for WRX,
my concern is would it have any impact on the gear or engine?
parts on this side of the world are not easy to find

also what is the way you recommend to tune the tables :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts