ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appreciate some advice. Newbie owner of 2011 WRX. I am at, and plan to stay at 91 Octane stage 1 OTS. Maybe a pro-tune at some point just to experience that, but car is a daily driver and I am very happy. I am not a mechanic, not even close. I see posts regarding stock tmic blowing plastic caps off. Is this a concern for my driving demographic in the first 60K miles? I see that some folks go with an all-metal upgrade from various makers, but wondering if that's overkill for me, and will that mess with my OTS tune? I don't race, on or off track.

Appreciate some advice. I am willing to have a good shop do the upgrade if it's a good idea for engine health/longevity/avoiding bigger issues. I am not interested if it would be, in my case, engine bling/start a chain reaction of needing other mods to compliment the new tmic flow/complete overkill.

Clueless, but becoming less so,
Eric

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've been running a stock TMIC for 20k miles on my 2011 stage 1, no issues with the intercooler and higher boost than an OTS tune. It's not to say you won't, they can be a problem at higher boost levels. You wouldn't need to retune for a larger TMIC.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I am running stg2 on the stock TMIC. It's efficient enough in any application from stock to stg2. Even with stg2 you'd benefit from a better TMIC.

If you plan on going stg2 and getting it protuned, I would get a TMIC.

EDIT: after re-reading my post it seemed a little misleading.....stock TMIC is perfectly fine for stg2 also, but anything after that would be recommended.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
+1. No worries at stage 1, almost no worries at stage 2. Beyond that, you'll need a new IC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments and advice I'll keep my stock tmic. 250 miles to go before I can open this car up a bit. I'll keep offering to do errands.

Eric

·
Æternum
20,582 Posts
You're fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just blew my plastic caps @ 19psi, so it depends

·
Registered
112 Posts
you'll be fine, I dont know if youre using Cobb's 91 octane stage 1 ots map but i know that its peak boost is like 15.5 or something thereabouts (its 15.4 on my 2011). If youre using something else i cant imagine the boost being much higher.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes. Using Cobb 91 Octane ots map on my '11 WRX. No other mods. I have logged three 2500-6500 3rd gear pulls and the highest boost pressure reading I got was 15.2 psi. The other two pulls maxed at 15.0, and 14.9 psi. No plans for stage 2 in the near, or even distant future.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you looked into Eric's stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance? I believe peak boost is set at 18psi for his tunes and that doesn't require any upgrades. I was previously running the Cobb stage 1 and switched to a TP stage one tune after asking Eric a whole mess of questions. Car feels much better than stock and much better than the Cobb tune at Stage 1.

My 2011 WRX is a daily driver as well. Will probably never see a track. Primarily used to go to work, school and to haul the family around ?

·
Banned
664 Posts
Yes. Using Cobb 91 Octane ots map on my '11 WRX. No other mods. I have logged three 2500-6500 3rd gear pulls and the highest boost pressure reading I got was 15.2 psi. The other two pulls maxed at 15.0, and 14.9 psi. No plans for stage 2 in the near, or even distant future.
can you go to google doc and post these logs? i can tell you your HP and TQ if interested.

15.2 sucks and is low! i had stage 1 and 2 from Eric and id have that over cobb any day!

·
Registered
62 Posts
What exactly happened? I am running the torqued Stage 3 map and target is 20 psi. Im going to order the ProcessWest IC as soon as Ive got a G to drop!

I was stage [email protected] 18psi (291awhp and 312tq) for a while and the car was just fine. Than I install Q300 exhaust and pro tune stage2 @19psi (311awhp and 352tq) few days later my boost dropped :(, looked under the hood :whoa: and saw the intercooler start separating between plastic and the core. Now I have to get a new ic ( I'm thinking IPR TMIC) and re tune it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts