Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is a thread that I wanted to make for anyone having the same issues that I did. Hopefully this will help you and make things easier because I had to go through a lot different forums and just do it myself to figure out the issues I had with my car. It’ll be a long post. Also whoever wants to add to this post you’re more than welcome to. This is a great community with helpful and knowledgeable people.

So I’ll start with the alternator.
If you get an oem alternator from Subaru, you’re easily paying between $200-$350. I doubt you want to pay for that when there’s alternatives.
So after I did some research I found that the 2010 Subaru Forester has an alternator that will work for the bugeye model. I went to the junkyard where I live and paid $40. It works better, higher amps than the stock one on the wrx. Stock alternator has 75 amps and the 2010 forester has 90 amps.

So if you need a new alternator look at the 2nd gen(2003-2008) and 3rd gen(2009-2013) forester. Also this is another plus, if you’re able to find a forester that comes with the turbo engine, that alternator comes with a 110 amp! Also will work for the bugeye model.

Next the Evap system.
My car initially threw a code P0457, states a small leak (gas cap loose).
Which didn’t make sense at the time because I had gotten a new one. Also I started to smell fumes within the car which isn’t good. So I came on this forum and read through a ton of posts of people having the same issues. Everyone suggesting different things. From replacing purge solenoid, the charcoal canister, canister vent valve, a blue “T” connector that’s next to you manifold, and even your fuel system. After reading for a month and kind of looking at the parts in my car, I replaced the canister vent valve. The code still came up after I deleted it. At that point I didn’t want to dump money into parts that didn’t need to be replaced just because of what I read. So I took my car to good shop in town, they did a smoke test and apparently my whole system was a mess because whoever owned the car before me, when they did mods to the engine they messed with the Evap system. So I had 6 different hoses replaced and the code hasn’t came up since. Also my car is more fuel efficient now than before I would run through a whole tank in about 6-7 days max!! Now it’s probably been 5 days and I still have half a tank left.
So my suggestion to anyone is take it to your local shop and have them do a smoke test before you diagnose it yourself and change parts that you don’t need to. Save yourself money!
Hopefully this info helps anyone out and thank you for reading!

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
EVAP leaks are a pain. It's never a leak in one spot and they usually cascade after the first part is checked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts