ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else here is familiar with the 2004 WRC STi that Soldberg and Hirvonen (Damn did i spell it right?) drive, but the radiator rests at the original position and above it at the grille in between the headlights and underneath the hood is where the intercooler lies, as a result they moved the intake all the way to where the TMIC is designated on USDM or JDM STi's. So the hoodscoop acts as a port for the intake. Is this set up possible with a FMIC? And I would imagine this is a CAI set up. WRC cars push 335-350 hp, about 300 flat to the wheels. Where does the Cold AIr benefit come for relatively low power, compared to a drag car. I would imagine this requires intense ECU and Dyno tuning but I don't know, this set up looks tempting..... AS for the real benefits? That's what I'm asking around for.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Tomei/Prova makes the TMCAI but I think you need to use their engine in order to use it.......

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a picture of the new-style WRC motor somewhere around here and I don't think it intakes from the top. IIRC on the new cars they have what appears to be intakes on each side of the engine compartment (there is a big CF filter box looking thing on each side) and the hood scoop is just for show.

Now, on the old rally cars they seem to take air from the hood scoop.

EDIT: Found some pics.
The new motor. Looks like it pulls from the grill area in front of the reverse scoop (note what looks to be the 2 airboxes on each side)

Old motor. Yeah it's a picture from under the hood of a model car, but it does show the airbox/filter in a fashion that could pull from the scoop.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That freakin wagon ROCKS!!!! That is the most bad a$$ wagon that I've ever seen.

I want it.

jd

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That pic rocks, I bet several of us have matching desktops :thumbup:

I just noticed in that pic that it looks like he is racing a Honda Element :confused:

jd

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
that place is about an hour away from me. that would definitely be worth driving up to see this in person.

that exhaust needs a "keep back 5 feet" sign. that rocks :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know of the progress on the Tomei engine..... *drool* all forged internals TMCAI....specially tuned ECU............

Must start saving.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
all it takes is a good fabricator... if you have a front mount and a bigger turbo like the one pictured that doesnt use the stock intake routing, its even easier.

here's an actual picture of the WRC engine, by the way:

the benefits of this set up may not be worth it as you have MAF sensor that needs to be extensively tuned to hopefully not freak out or completely eliminated with a stand alone ecu. with a mod like this, it will probably cost a pretty penny and you wont see any real benefits in power unless you have MAJOR mods. May just be easier to buy a WRC motor...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know what you mean by major mods. If you mean by power, the WRC cars run a regulation 350 HP, around 300 to the wheels. If you mean extensive and extremely technical tuning, then yeah, i would have to agree with you on that one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
EtherealWRX said:
I don't know what you mean by major mods. If you mean by power, the WRC cars run a regulation 350 HP, around 300 to the wheels. If you mean extensive and extremely technical tuning, then yeah, i would have to agree with you on that one.
Yeah but they have über torque

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
ebr0t said:
i think the most disturbing part of that pic is that hes racing that element.
Ha!

·
Registered
353 Posts
they also have a 6 speed that makes ours look like ultra long. their 4th in some rallys max out at like 60mph, about 100 kmph so they have the acceleration advantage and they also are much much lighter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts