ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to strict laws on exhaust mods in my area, I'm thinking of getting my stock downpipe gutted. At least the mod is not visible to the eye. Can I get some reviews from fellow users?

1. Will a gutted downpipe cause a CEL? Is it rectifiable?

2. Will there be any gains if any? Or save the hassle, just stick to stock?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I gutted my stocker and yes it will throw a CEL but there is an easy fix. Just get two spark plug non-foulers (18mm I think), drill one out to 1/2", insert the drilled out one into the other one, then screw the assembly between the oxygen sensor and the midpipe.

As for gutting the downpipe, I have seen it done without cutting the pipe, but I don't think they could remove all of the cat material. I just cut a three sided window in the side of the pipe where the cat is, peeled it back and chiseled it out. It took maybe a half hour to gut and weld back once the pipe was out of the car.

As far as performance gains, I could tell a difference but not as much as an aftermarket pipe. But hey for a free mod I say it's worth it. And if you ever need to go back stock, there are always used DP's for like $50.

Hope that helps,
Shane

·
6,298 Posts
It is illegal to tamper with emission control devices.
The Antitampering Law applies to individuals as well as to businesses.
Individuals may be fined as much as $2,500 for each vehicle tampered with,
and businesses are subject to fines of up to $25,000.

heheheheheheehehehehehehe:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
you can get DP for cheap enough that its almost not worth the time it takes to remove/gut

grab a used aftermarket DP from soeone on here or ebay. sooo many out there.. keep the stocker incase you sell or just sell it if you dont want to keep it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts