ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am about to go check this car out in person and take it to a mechanic for a full test and see how the condition of the engine is but before I do, I just wanted to get some quick feedback on thoughts of this car. I would be very thankful because you guys know a lot more than I do. I really want to join the subie club lol and been looking for one for awhile now.

This is his post:
I have modified 05 WRB WRX for sale (55000miles). Its has premium package(sunroof, heated seat). Exterior has some door dings but interior is perfect. this car runs perfect never been to track or beaten down, oil change with motul every time, new brakes.
Mods are perrin down pipe/ up-pipe, Inviadia G200 catback, Cobb stage2, short ram intake, Perrin F/R sway bar, Cusco F/R strut bar, OEM turbo boost gauge, Momo shift knob, Kartboy short shifter, JDM side skirt, Tint 35%, debadge trunk, Rota D2, Rays blue Lugs nuts, hid kit, tanabe lowering spring , DNA 4000 series slotted rotor with new hawk pad. (13.5K)

sub 3.jpg sub1.jpg sub2.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a modified car

If you are interested though, have the car inspected, see if they have receipts, maintenance records, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea.. i was really against it. Till i couldnt find any that are bone stock and when i find one, they are super overpriced. lol

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a modified car

If you are interested though, have the car inspected, see if they have receipts, maintenance records, etc.
+1. Is it just me, or is the paint on the fender quite different from the paint on the door and back? Wrecked? It could be the lighting. I need better pics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres a better picture but very nice observation... never even would have thought of that but I think its the lighting?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow.. you really know your stuff. I just asked him about his fender and he said there was a minor accident on it. Very helpful feedbacks..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said no mechanical damage, all the mods were added at 20k brand new, and have the receipts done professionally. I asked him if it was tuned but he said no because cobb stage 2 dont require tune..? Really just getting into all this so im not sure if thats true.

·
turbo juice
112 Posts
Cobb stage 2 is the name of the tune for the mods cobb has....i wouldnt buy it if its not tuned

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
he said no because cobb stage 2 dont require tune..? Really just getting into all this so im not sure if thats true.
This means he's just using a Cobb "off the shelf" (or OTS) Stage 2 map. Cobb makes a sort of "one size fits most" tune that is supposed to work giving a vary specific set of modifications. It's considered conservative, since it's supposed to work on a wide range of Subarus, and generally works fine, although some people run into knock issues for one reason or another. A protune (in a shop on a dyno, tailored to your car) is obviously superior, but also means added $$$.

In this case, I would be worried, as the OTS Cobb map is ONLY rated for use with the Cobb intake, which that is not. I would be very cautious, and get a compression and leakdown test done at a Subaru shop at the bare minimum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you very very insightful. Im defiantly were going to take it for the compression and leakdown for i heard thats a must. But lets say it came out clean, should i take it reverted back to stock? because he gave me this option or leave it as it is or just some parts? This is suppose to be my daily and not sure if leaving these mods on will actually decrease the car's lifespan or raise my maintance cost

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Honestly, I don't see and big red flags on this car. The intake is questionable but probably not doing much harm. If you do buy the car I would get the stock airbox if he still has it but I would buy this car for the right price if the tests come out showing a healthy engine.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Is he the only owner? That's actually not a terrible mod list for a modded WRX with low miles. Stage 2 with a Cobb AP is relatively tame. He's got some pretty quality parts on there.

Definitely check receipts. Get a carfax report to verify the accident, and take a test drive. Have an independent mechanic check her out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, im not sure how accurate this is but if i were to drive to car as a daily, is that a horrible idea? I could try to look for a stock wrx but its hard to come by one and didnt see one with low milage thats not overpriced in awhile. Because i do intend to drive it as a daily

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If he test come out clean, is 13.5k a fair price to pay?
I'd try for a little less but KBB has it at $13.4k - $15.5k so it seems to be priced fairly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts