ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states in a bind of what I should do . My car was the recent victim of ingesting water and my insurance is going to cover the damages and replace the engine. Question is I found a 2011 wrx Sti engine on eBay and was curious if that would fit in my 06 Sti without to many problems of if any at all. Also would the my old ECU be an issue aswell since the new engine doesn't come Witt the ecu. Should I just have my engine rebuilt or should I go with a complete motor swap . I'd rather have the swap since all the other accessories will be a lot newer. Aswell as the turbo . I'm just concerned that it won't be an easy swap or if at all possible since the ecu is not coming with the newer engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Even if it's a different idea . I also have the choice as to where the engine will be done if that helps any . I assume Subaru will replace the short block . But keep all the accessories . Or I could with a speed shop and have them order this engine I found and go from there . Thanks in advanced !

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The only problem is the 2011's have dual AVCS heads. You would need to reuse your old heads. And for the money they are asking it would be cheaper to get your old engine rebuilt or to just buy a factory shortblock and get the heads rebuilt (if needed).

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
What all is wrong with the engine? What can be reused?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be my best option then . Should I get a new engine or have mine rebuilt or use the 2011 eng and my head or something else . Maybe get a Jdm V9 eng

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The eng hasnt been taken apart yet . It's still at the body gettin to get sent to a mechanics shop or Subaru

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
The only problem is the 2011's have dual AVCS heads. You would need to reuse your old heads. And for the money they are asking it would be cheaper to get your old engine rebuilt or to just buy a factory shortblock and get the heads rebuilt (if needed).
This.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
What would be my best option then . Should I get a new engine or have mine rebuilt or use the 2011 eng and my head or something else . Maybe get a Jdm V9 eng
---->

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Maybe get a Jdm V9 eng
And what is a Ver 9 JDM motor? It comes down to money and know how. The questions you are asking basically tell me you should stick with the stock engine. Figure out what is wrong with the old one and go from there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that's what I'm gonna do , the cars at Subaru and I assume they will jut replace what's needed . Thanks for the help guys

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
No one wanted to take any shots at me? Too easy?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after all the headaches , the insurance is not covering the claim . they say its a mechanical failure . Subaru found a broken land ring on one of the pistons . so i just ended buying an entire long block off ebay . Thing is its out of an 07 . Will this be an issue since the 07 come with the top feed injectors . what should i do about my accesport . Can i load up an 07 map , or will my 06 ECU not allow me to run the 07 map. Also im installing the engine myself . and ive been looking for a DIY for this and have not had any luck . main thing im wondering is were do i hook up the sling to it ? im sure other than that i can figure out how to hook it all up . since its 90% the same except for turbo and injectors ( correct me if im wrong) thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Just reuse you old intake manifold,injectors and fuel rail. It's a simple solution.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why can't I just run the top feeds . Would a Protune solve this issues .

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I'm trying to make this easy for you. So if you want to spend $$$ for a protune for topfeed injectors that barely flow more than the sidefeeds then go for it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd like to get a protune anyways , this would be a prefect oppurtonitty wouldn't it

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd like to get a protune anyways , this would be a prefect oppurtonitty wouldn't it , why go thought the trouble of swapping manifold and injectors when I was gonna get a protune . I'm asking for advice not ****ty remarks . It just doesn't make sense to me why I can't throw the motor in as it sits . Load up an 07 Sti map from my accesport and call it a day . And if I can't do that then I'll get a protune . Problem solved . I'm not to concerned about the $$ , just want the best for my car at the moment

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Who said any ****ty remarks? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts