ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd deliberated a lot about what mods would be good for a stage 2 set-up capable of 300 whp or so. On a budget, so I decided on:

Invidia catless DP
GS 3 port
Forge BPV
walbro fuel pump (for safety)

I have 3 places I may go for the tune. Element tuning in Gaithersburg, AMStuning same location, or Ivey tune in NJ.

I really wanted Agile tuning, but they only do AP protunes and i'm not spending 600.00 on an AP that I will hardly use. An opensourse tune is what I want to get done.

All of these parts look good? Some not needed? I know the plastic BPV doesn't hold bosst really well past 17 or so PSI or so I have read.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Thats not a bad setup for starters. I don't know if you will reach 300 HP (that will be seen once you get a tune done). We can help you get those parts for a decent price, let me know if you want a price by PMing me.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
If Phil will tune you with OpenECU, go to Element Tuning, hands down

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other less expensive mods that might assure that I can get to the 300 whp or over mark? Injectors perhaps? Or not needed? Something else?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The key thing is your turbo and will you be able to create enough pressure to sustain that 300 AWHP and still be efficient.

If you want to make sure, I would suggest getting some 650 CC injectors as well to make sure you aren't getting dangerously close to maxing your factory ones and other than that, its really a tune the car and see what kind of power you can make.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With different dyno charts i've seen it really doesn't look like these mods will get me to 300... I know a PW TMIC likely would, but damn... I don't want to spend another grand on an IC along with all of the other parts and that too.

The key thing is your turbo and will you be able to create enough pressure to sustain that 300 AWHP and still be efficient.

If you want to make sure, I would suggest getting some 650 CC injectors as well to make sure you aren't getting dangerously close to maxing your factory ones and other than that, its really a tune the car and see what kind of power you can make.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Id go for the biggest bang possible which would be the following in my opinion..

DP
Cat back
Perrin turbo inlet
TGV Deletes
Process west TMIC
aem intake
id1000s
dw65 fuel pump
ebcs

Id also go with porting the manifolds, a cross pipe and an up pipe with possibility of going EWG later.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
It would be helpful to know your year/model/mileage to start with.....

You're not likely to get 300 out of the mods you listed. For the IC, look into an STI one to start. You can get one for about $300 pretty easily.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump unless you're going to run larger injectors too. The stock fuel pump will push enough fuel for the stock injectors.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Id go for the biggest bang possible which would be the following in my opinion..

DP
Cat back
Perrin turbo inlet
TGV Deletes
Process west TMIC
aem intake
id1000s
dw65 fuel pump
ebcs

Id also go with porting the manifolds, a cross pipe and an up pipe with possibility of going EWG later.
Damn man... how much power are you trying to make me here lol.

A few questions though. From reading countless threads on intakes... it doesn't seem like you get much over the stock set-up, likewise with the CBE.. I didn't think after the downpipe that this was much more than a noisemaker. Definitely don't want a loud exhaust. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Im guessing he has a later model because the replacement of the bpv so the sti tmic wouldnt work

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would be helpful to know your year/model/mileage to start with.....

You're not likely to get 300 out of the mods you listed. For the IC, look into an STI one to start. You can get one for about $300 pretty easily.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump unless you're going to run larger injectors too. The stock fuel pump will push enough fuel for the stock injectors.

oops.. it's a 2012 WRX base with about 1600 miles now.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Damn man... how much power are you trying to make me here lol.

A few questions though. From reading countless threads on intakes... it doesn't seem like you get much over the stock set-up, likewise with the CBE.. I didn't think after the downpipe that this was much more than a noisemaker. Definitely don't want a loud exhaust. Your thoughts?
you wanted 300hp. That will net you roughly 300 on the correct dyno.

an intake on 02-07 is worthless, 08+ is a decent idea. Also the catback exhaust is a necessity, anyone telling you otherwise can suck it. ive personally lost a lot of power going from a 3" exhaust to a 2.5" and a lot of people gain from going full 3" from other smaller pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I thought the stock bpv could handle a good bit of power and boost, i havent see any issues and my map allows me to run to 19psi

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you wanted 300hp. That will net you roughly 300 on the correct dyno.

an intake on 02-07 is worthless, 08+ is a decent idea. Also the catback exhaust is a necessity, anyone telling you otherwise can suck it. ive personally lost a lot of power going from a 3" exhaust to a 2.5" and a lot of people gain from going full 3" from other smaller pipes.
My only issue with a full TBE is the sound. I want a total stock tone... actually no sound at all would be fine with me too, most people complain about how loud all of the aftermarket systems are. Which ones are quiet, but don't cost an arm and a leg?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
not sure about quite ones, most people buy them to add sound, whether its a little or a lot

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought the stock bpv could handle a good bit of power and boost, i havent see any issues and my map allows me to run to 19psi
Like everything else... it likely varies from car to car. One may hold all the was to 20 or more... one may leak at 16. I wouldn't want to find out at an expensive tuning/dyno session that I got one of the crappy ones. It's just sort of piece of mind for me I guess.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not sure about quite ones, most people buy them to add sound, whether its a little or a lot
Yeah, i'm pretty much the opposite and don't want to show off my car to every moron out there who tries to race me... I also don't want cops attention... went through that enough. I'm 33 now... 10 years ago it would be easier to pick lol. A shame because the engine has such a nice tone though.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yeah, i'm pretty much the opposite and don't want to show off my car to every moron out there who tries to race me... I also don't want cops attention... went through that enough. I'm 33 now... 10 years ago it would be easier to pick lol. A shame because the engine has such a nice tone though.
maybe its cuz im still young but i cant stand a quiet car, i wanna hear it as i drive, which is why i got an n1 exhaust.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts