Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Go Fast Bits G Force III Electronic Boost Controller, but I don't know if I will need a tune if I up the boost a little bit in the Boost controller.
The Electronic Boost Controller has multiple profiles, so I was thinking of running a higher than factory boost setting profile only when I need to 'overtake' someone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for ur response, I did some research and for this particular EBC you don't remove the factory boost controller apparently and i'm only going to add 1-2psi extra, would the stock ecu compensate for that?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
It's not a good idea. The engine wouldn't necessarily fail within the first week, month, etc, but it will cause damage over time. Besides, without a tune 1-2psi isn't going to do much for performance. You could run stock boost with a tune and gain a ton more than higher boost without a tune. I will say, 2002-2003 year models are the only ones you could get away with adding 1-2psi without tuning for it.. not that I would.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the advice. I've decided to not purchase the EBC, I might save up and get some supporting parts like downpipe, injectors and get a tune instead.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Cheers for the advice. I've decided to not purchase the EBC, I might save up and get some supporting parts like downpipe, injectors and get a tune instead.

If you're trying to save money I would just stick with the stock injectors. If you already have a catless uppipe then an aftermarket downpipe and a tune are going to be your best bang for buck mods. If you still have the OEM uppipe with the catalytic converter in place, that takes priority over anything else modification wise.

A note of caution.. with such an old vehicle, if it has relatively high mileage on the engine I would be hesitant to add any engine mods. Increasing the power output of the engine could send it over the edge. Plus, with the car's age I can think of probably $2000 worth of maintenance that it could likely use. Although I would take into consideration the condition of the vehicle before dumping any significant amount of money into it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're trying to save money I would just stick with the stock injectors. If you already have a catless uppipe then an aftermarket downpipe and a tune are going to be your best bang for buck mods. If you still have the OEM uppipe with the catalytic converter in place, that takes priority over anything else modification wise.

A note of caution.. with such an old vehicle, if it has relatively high mileage on the engine I would be hesitant to add any engine mods. Increasing the power output of the engine could send it over the edge. Plus, with the car's age I can think of probably $2000 worth of maintenance that it could likely use. Although I would take into consideration the condition of the vehicle before dumping any significant amount of money into it.
That's actually really good advice, I have actually considered whether it is worth it in the long term, and you're right, because for its age it might need some maintenance in the future. My car has nearly done 150,000km (93,000 miles), so quite a bit. I will most likely do some small cheap mods, like a boost gauge, its the little things that counts, lol.

Thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
93k isn't a ton of miles, especially considering the age of the car. You could potentially get away with some mods.. I wouldn't go beyond the stock turbo, but uppipe, downpipe, should be alright with a good tune. You could add supporting mods like a TMIC, 3-port EBCS, AOS, even ELH. I don't remember exactly at what point you would need new injectors and a fuel pump.. but if you're pushing the limits of the stock turbo it wouldn't be a bad idea. The supporting mods shouldn't hurt reliability.

On the maintenance side of things, if you haven't done the timing belt I would do that first, and when you do the timing belt you should also replace the tensoner, idlers, water pump, valve cover seals, etc. It adds up quick. (I highly recommend replacing the uppipe as well.)

If it has the original struts they surely need to be replaced by now.. then there's all suspension bushings. A couple of years ago I replaced all of the suspension (and steering rack) bushings. The bushings alone cost $1000. It made a huge difference.. felt like a new car again.

Do that stuff along with miscellaneous things like spark plugs, coolant/engine/transmission/differential/powersteering/brake fluid flush and fill and you're in well over $3000 before modding at all.

If you live in an area where they salt the roads in winter it would be a really good idea to check the front control arms and subframe for rust issues as well. The turbo inlet and vacuum lines are likely in bad shape by now too. If I felt like it I could probably spend upwards of $5000 just getting all the stock components fixed up before doing anything performance wise. That's getting close to how much the car is worth in the first place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, I think I'll rather save the money and just keep my car running tip top. lol
I actually didn't expect maintenance to be that much, dayum.

Thanks for that info, makes me think wisely on how I spend money on my ride :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts