ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 wrx that won’t crank but I can hear the fuel pump and when I connect it to another cars battery and it starts instantly. Help

·
10,511 Posts
Your battery is dead.

·
10,511 Posts
"basically brand new" means what?

What you are describing sounds exactly like a dead/bad battery, MAYBE a bad post connection.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a 16 sti & had to replace the battery last year. A few months ago it wouldn't start again & had to charge it to get the car to start. Both times when I tried starting the car all the lights turned on (full brightness) & I got all the prestart sounds but it wouldn't crank.

If it runs after a jump take it to an autozone or some place & have them test it. If not most of the big box stores that sell batteries will no question return them if it isn't the issue. So if you go buy a battery & put it in you can just take it back if that doesn't work out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"basically brand new" means what?

What you are describing sounds exactly like a dead/bad battery, MAYBE a bad post connection.
I have a 16 sti & had to replace the battery last year. A few months ago it wouldn't start again & had to charge it to get the car to start. Both times when I tried starting the car all the lights turned on (full brightness) & I got all the prestart sounds but it wouldn't crank.

If it runs after a jump take it to an autozone or some place & have them test it. If not most of the big box stores that sell batteries will no question return them if it isn't the issue. So if you go buy a battery & put it in you can just take it back if that doesn't work out.
ok thanks will do tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok thanks will do tomorrow
The cranking takes manytimes the current of the headlights. On top of that your starter motor may be a bit 'iffy' and require more current than usual to crank. That said you may also have Calcium battery and they are the pits in my view when not kept regularly charged. They can show 100% charge and nice green light but die instantly when trying to crank the engine. Fairly cheap battery teters can be bought and are handy...I mean the basic resistor type not electronic type...for checking conditon. The problem was so obviously battery or something being 'fixed' when you dropped friend's battery into cradle. If you did it as a jump start across your battery that would drag overall voltage down and when cranking ok would indicate your battery has high resistance problem. ...in other words 'stuffed'. Taking straight lead acid batteries offthe market was not a good idea. Mixing calcium with the lead introduced problems "straight' lead acid batteries didn't have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts