ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I hope all of you are having a good Holiday.

A few weeks ago I replace my 19's WRX with a brand new set of winter tires, mounting on a new set of aftermarket rims.
I bought the full set from Tire Rack, that includes the Michelin X-ice-3, new TPMs, hub ring and nuts set. The tires and wheels match the OEM sizes.

Right of the bet, I noticed a wobbling noise at speed from 40-55 MPH. No vibration at all.
As I had scheduled an one-year maintenance, I reported to the dealer for a quick inspection. The dealer had not found anything wrong!

So, last weekend I took the car to a nearby reputable tire shop. They removed all 4 wheels, check the balance, any rims imperfection and tire damage.
Again, nothing was found wrong!

I came from the west coast and this is my first time with winter tires. But, I still thinking something is wrong.

The wobbling noise starts, as I said 40 MPH and keep up till 55 MPH, and not coming for any specific direction.
It seems the noise range shifts a little bit after 30-40 min driving, going between 55-65 MPH.
Again, the car drives very well and no vibration at any speed. I have tested up to 100 MPH.

Any clue where I should look if it is a problem?

thanks

--fernando

·
Registered
261 Posts
A vid may help. I have different winter tires from you but there is more/different road noise with mine than summer that varies depending on speed. There is also some freshly (past year) paved roads/highways near me & I have noticed my tires whine/warble on them. Not sure if it's something different done when they applied the surface.

I am on yr2 of my winter tires & the road noise is less than last year but still there.

Still say if you can capture/post a vid or audio it could help others understand what you are talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

That is not a bad idea! I'll take my daughter's GoPro and take some shots for each tire!

A vid may help. I have different winter tires from you but there is more/different road noise with mine than summer that varies depending on speed. There is also some freshly (past year) paved roads/highways near me & I have noticed my tires whine/warble on them. Not sure if it's something different done when they applied the surface.

I am on yr2 of my winter tires & the road noise is less than last year but still there.

Still say if you can capture/post a vid or audio it could help others understand what you are talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
** UPDATE **

After a few more days driving, it seems the noise was coming from right from wheels.

I tried the GoPro... I attached the camera to the fender and also the door (passenger side). Turned out, the wind noise was too loud to pick up any wobbling noise coming from the wheel/tires. So, I installed the camera in the trunk, and hopefully capture the noise coming from either rear wheels. No joy!

Last weekend as the temperature improved in Chicagoland from 0 F to ~15 F, I warmed up the hydraulic jack (discovered don't like freezing temperature) and swapped the front and rear passenger side wheels. Guess what... the noise virtually disappeared. I drove many different speeds and pavements, the noise is 10x lower, almost undetectable.

Well, that makes me believe one rim/tire assembly, now right rear side, is unbalanced or have some defect. One reputable tire shop said they tested the balance, and finally, the dealer has checked if it was corrected assembled.

Any other clue or recommendation?

tks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts