Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read up on some past post that you can utilize the center clock harness.. which contains all 4 wires that is needed to hook up any electronic gauge. But "how many" gauges can i run off from this source? i have total of 3 omori gauges that is sitting in the defi pod.. and if i can power all 3 from this clock harness.. that would be the most easy for me.. i jus want to make sure that i won't blow the clock fuse running so many guages on one clock harness.. please leave feedback! thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm not sure how much juice you could run off the clock fuse without blowing it, but why not just replace the fuse with a higher rated one?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Find out what the clock fuse is rated at, then divide that number by 12 (volts). Then divide the result by 2 (just to be safe, electronics are tricky) and you'll have a maximum current value for your three gauges. If the current drawn by the three gauges is higher than the number you calculated, you will need to use more than one wire to power your guage cluster.

-Shadow

·
Registered
55 Posts
WORKS for me!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
alittle confused about the clock wires.

blue/red (constant (+))

black (ground (-)) easy enough.

pink/blue (illumination) connect for (+) lighting and is on when the driving lights are turned on

yellow/green (switched (+)) is this the power that is turned on when theignition is turned on?

Installing a center gauge pod this weekend. Double checking to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The clock fuse, is the radio fuse inside the egine bay, iirc its a 30amp fuse. Your not gona blow that unless you wire up a power inverter and plug a computer and a half into it ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
lol yeah dude, 30amps is like what, 10 laptops?

BLUEdemon, what's the cool glowing blue thingmajiggy in your console?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Richie03 said:

blue/red (constant (+))

pink/blue (illumination) connect for (+) lighting and is on when the driving lights are turned on

yellow/green (switched (+)) is this the power that is turned on when theignition is turned on?

Installing a center gauge pod this weekend. Double checking to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.
Was this correct? I need to know too...Installing some gauges soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used the black (-) as a common ground for the gauge and gauge lighting. I used the pink/blue (+) for the power for lighting (wire is live when the parking / headlights are turned on). Finally I used the yellow/green (+) for switched power for powering the gauge (this wire is live when the ignition is turned to the on position). I did not use the blue/red (+) for any gauges, this wire is live even with out the ignition in the on position.

I hope this helps you guys out. It took alot of searching on many forums to get this info clearly stated.

Richie

edit: note the gauge lights do not dim with this set up, they are either on or off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Subaru uses a variable ground to dim rather then a variable (+). I know there is a dimmer ground in the stereo wiring harness but not sure what wire it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Richie03 said:

blue/red (constant (+))

Hello friend, Happy New Year!!
i have a few question would like to ask you. you said:
Blue/Red:+12V ok
Black:Ground ok
Yellow/Green:ACC ignition?
Pink:Light ok

DO you mean ACC = Ignition Switch wire?

which one is the lighting circuit ??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Richie03 said:
Subaru uses a variable ground to dim rather then a variable (+). I know there is a dimmer ground in the stereo wiring harness but not sure what wire it is.
Behind the radio there is an unused 2pin harness. I believe one wire is purple, the other is orange. IIRC you can use these to dim the bulbs. I dont think it is was ever determined possible to dim the Omori's though. Most (not all) Autometers will dim.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Risen from the ashes.... but also some good info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts