ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have an 04 wagon, and was going to get some rota sdr's for it. But i have a couple of questions.

First, if i have 17/7.5 rota SDR's on the car, and i want to head up to the mountains to go snowboarding with the stock wheels and tires for winter traction, do i have to get them balanced and aligned when i put them on, or can i just jack up the car and swap out the weels?

Any ideas, opinions, and suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

~m

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do note that the Stock tires, while much better then any perfomance summer tire, suck in the snow. You might want to consider getting some snow tires if that is what you are going to use your stock rims for. I suppose it would only matter if you were going to do this often, not just a couple times a year. I see Santa Cruz is your place of residence, so you probably have no worries. For your edification, I know that the stock tires will get past the "checkpoint" at the top of the pass going to Tahoe on I-80, as I encountered that pit of hell when I visited in March. But as a Coloradan who used those for two days in the snow before realizing he needed snow tires, I would seriously consider getting some snowies. I got the Blizzak Lm-22 (the high performance H-rated version) and they actually feel better on dry surfaces and have better traction, handling, and ride then the stockies. They are studless too, so no excessive road noise or wear. Just a thought.

Josh

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Michael, I work in Santa Cruz too. What color is your wagon? I drive a WRB wagon with no rack and JDM 17"s. Maybe I'll see you around.

Still off topic, but anything M+S rated will get you past the donner pass checkpoint in tahoe. If things get really bad, they'll require chains, but usually at that point they'll shut the highway down.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm selling my sumitomo M+S tires on stock rims for $400. It's so much easier just to swap the entire wheel and tore than having to remount tires again.

My set up only has 2500 miles on them, practically new. ONe of the rims have a curb rash (holds air fine), bu tthe other 3 are in very good condition.

I'm selling because they no longer fit my brakes.

dan.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey electric, thanks for all the suggestions, you make some darn good points. Like you saw, i go to school in santa cruz, so the tahoe trips for me would be on weekends, and not every day. However, when i need new winter wheel, i will look into your suggested wheels, also, thanks for the caution advice on the stockers.

SUDN RUSH: is that a special option come fall time at our neighborhood chevron or are you just blowing the smoke out of your arse for your own winter air ;) just kidding, i'll make sure i remember that winter air! :rolleyes:

Shapeshifter, i got a san remo red wagon, 04, full yakima rack on top, and all stock thus far......sway bar and endlinks are in research, also want some aluminum front control arms and new wheels......rota SDR's i think...... pm me for a fun drive sometime. This weekend i hit brake in and changed my oil, just got back from san jose soquel rode tonight.....aahhhh driving bliss......

Hey quicksilver, thanks for the offer, but i think that 400 bucks would be better spent on some new 17" wheels for now.

Thanks for all your guys input, i appreciate it!

~m

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I didn't know they made aluminum control arms for the wagon? The Sti ones are for sedans only. The sedan has a wider stance so theirs don;t fit the wagon. I know (I have a wagon). Also, although the aluminum arms are lighter and stiffer, some say the stock ones are more "forgiving" when stressed (ie hitting a curb hard).

Happend to me, slipped on some snow going a whopping 5 miles an hour, hit the curb and bent the control arm back enuff that the wheel rubbed against the back of the wheel well. The ONLY thing damaged (other than the wheel) was the control arm which was simple to swap out. If the arm didn't give....no telling how much more I would have spent on repairs.

just something to keep in mind. Stiffer and lighter isn't alway better.

ON the wagon, good rear endlinks and a sway bar does wonders.

good luck on your mod plans,

Hg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to tell you to check out big sky's thread, but he of course beat me to it! anyways, they are sweet looking, you should check them out yourself.

Thanks for the headsup though quicksilver, you make a good point. Got any suggestions for rear sway bar and endlinks? (ie: size, company, model, ect.)

Hey big sky, i have a couple questions for you, off the thread topic, but since i started it i think its okay to hijack it. I noticed you are running 16" wheels, i have read bits and pieces of the pros and cons of this vs. a bigger wheel, say 17's, but i wanted your opinions and reasoning behind running the smaller wheel.

thanks for all the info guys, suspension and handling forums are the win!

~michael

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
If you need bigger brakes (ie a BBK) then 17" wheels area must, if you don't then 16" wheels/tires generally offer less weight and less rotaional mass. Typically w/ good hi po tires, the tire sidewalls are stiff enough to negate any advantage of a shorter sidewall. 16" tires w/ their taller sidewall offer better protection against some of finer roads:rolleyes: . They generally offer a less harsh ride as well.

I am starting to find that some tire manufacturer's are starting to "discriminate" against 16" wheels- less choice than there was. For example the Pirelli P Zero Nero's I'm running now are no longer offered in 225/50/16:mad: That might be a consideration if your looking to run a particular tire. There seems to be more choice in the 17" lineup. You may also find better choice in rims as well (w/ 17"'s).

Ofcourse the biggest reason most folks go to 17" (18's too) rims is they like the looks- nothing wrong w/ that IMO as long as they make an informed decision and as pointed out above they do have advantages.

Big Sky

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, never knew some of those things, thanks for the quick replly, i appeciate your suggestions. Becuase of the seemingly diminishing availability of quality 16" wheels and more importantly tires, would you suggest 17's over 16's for someone looking for better performance and less squeaking? Size, for me, is not that much of an issue, i dont think i plan on lowering my car mainly because i really am looking forward to tahoe, snow, and gravel back roads that i'm searching out. However, weight and performance are pretty important.

Also, hows that 21mm sti rear sway bar working out for you, and what end links are you using. It seems like its a similar setup for what i'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips.

~michael

·
Registered
888 Posts
Like Big Sky I prefer 16s for my uses. I really don't think that you give up much in the way of performance and cheaper wheels, cheaper tires, and the protection that comes from the extra sidewall far out weigh the negatives. In my opinion at least. The number of Max performance tires in 16" sizes does seem to be shrinking some but there are still a number of good choices.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
any prefrences on tires? 16" and 17"?

One of the bonuses i was looking forward to, was the ability to simply switch out wheelsets for summer/winter, if keep 16's.....i guess i'll have to buy another set of 16's to keep from having to have tires mounted and remounted.

thanks for all the suggestions.

michael

·
Registered
888 Posts
I run Eagle F1 GS-D3s in the summer and Nokian WRs in the winter and am very happy with both. If I was going to get 17s as my summer tires I'd strongly consider the Pilot Sport 2s or a cheap set of barely used RE-070s off an an STi. It seems like a number of people to ditch the 070s so they can sometimes be found for great prices with minimal wear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts