Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to keep the factory tires and rims for summer and get a set of rims and winter tires for the winter this November. My car is black and I was thinking of going with 17" black painted Sparco rims. I cannot decide on what tire to get. I live in Maryland. Our winters can be cold as hell but we do not get as much snow as the north and midwest. I need a good tire that will do very well on cold roads and be able to handle the occasional snow storm and slush. I was thinking of either the Bridgestone Blizzaks or the Continental winter contacts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've got Michelin x-ice Xi3 and ive been very impressed with them. Plus they'll last many more miles than other winter tires

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The Falken Eurosports I had didn't ride the best until they were heated up, but for $450 they were good enough. Honestly, if you don't get much snow I suggest just keeping your stock wheels and swapping the tires during the winter months. It sounds like you only need to go November-ish to March. If you really want to have a dedicated set of winter wheels then I suggest trying to get a used set on the cheap.

We only get a few inches of snow in my area every winter, anymore. A lot of people suggest against it, but I just stay on my summer tires now. When it's under 50 degrees I drive easy. When it snows or ices I don't drive my car.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I liked the general altamax arctic. In the snow they were good, but not as good as other snow tires. I’m just cold pavement they preformed exceptionally

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
If you don't deal with heavy snowfall, a "Performance Winter" tire is the category for you.

I do NOT like Bridgestone Blizzak tires, as the compound that makes them great initially wears off and they become mediocre well before the end of the tire life. If you choose to go that route, prepare to replace your tires more frequently than treadwear demands, or suffer from A/S tire performance on a tire that you spent "premium" tire money on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i like my pirelli sottozero 3s, took the car to montreal 2 times last winter and had a lot of fun in the snow with them. saved my ass a couple times as well, situations where if i had been in my old g37x with its all seasons and massive weight i would have surely crashed.

living in nj i figured a high performance winter would be plenty, and so far 1 winter in it sure seems sufficent. btw they feel pretty good on dry pavement too, but not the most confidence inspiring when you can feel the centrifugal forces causing the soft winter rubber to stretch out in corners, making the car move in odd ways ive never felt before.

these are the only snow tire ive ever used so i may have a bit of confirmation bias tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts