ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in adavnce if im in the wrong section. I have a question on tire rack for winter tires they suggest a 215 55 r16, and i went to discount tire today and basically put some on order but they suggested 205 55 r16. is that tire size ok, or should i go with what tire rack suggested, or does it not make a difference? Thanks for the help in advance as well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Both will work but I'd go with the 215's because the overall diameter is the same as the stock tire's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and they also suggested a hankook evo w310 and i had a blizzak ws 70 in mind. i have looked on the internet and it sounds like a good tire but don't see many reviews on it. any suggestions on which one to go with. both are very close in price .

·
Registered
902 Posts
Tire choice is really up to you. If money is tight go with some Firestone Winterforce or General Altimax Arctic. I bought some Blizzak WS70's based on reviews and they had a rebate on them in October.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Lots of good feedback on Blizzaks so I'd go there unless you've got a few more dollars to spend.

The best you can buy are the Dunlop Winter Sport. I've run those for years on many different cars and won't be running anything else any time soon...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Lots of good feedback on Blizzaks so I'd go there unless you've got a few more dollars to spend.

The best you can buy are the Dunlop Winter Sport. I've run those for years on many different cars and won't be running anything else any time soon...
I checked those out but figured you'd give up some deep snow traction because it's a performance winter tire.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
No absolutely not. You're paying for the performance, but you don't lose anything in snow traction. They're excellent in all snow conditions. I've used them on 4 or 5 cars now as daily drivers in CO and MA winters and will never buy another winter tire as long as they offer them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Dunlop Graspics are a good cheap choice. A couple of the guys I hang out with in SCCA have had good results with them if you are on a budget.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
The problem with Blizzaks is that the compound that makes them good is only on the outer part of the tread, so after a few winters, they're nothing special.

teflon_jones said:
The best you can buy are the Dunlop Winter Sport.
They're good tires, but I don't see how you can quantify that tire as "the best". I'd like to see some tests up against the Michelin Alpin PA3 (which, according to TireRack surveys is #1 in class vs the Dunlops #3).

For my needs, the WinterSports are not ideal; I need a tire that has good ice characteristics, which is why I've used both Blizzaks and Nokians in the past. The Hakkapeliitta 5s on the Blazer (plow vehicle) have managed my driveway best so far. A set of Hakkapeliitta 7s are on order for the STI this year.

In regards to dry-handling performance of a winter tire, that's not as much of a concern for me as how it handles in heavy snow / ice; once the weather starts getting worse, I change my driving habits accordingly, and won't really push the car.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I will be going with the Hakkapeliitta R (as I don't want a studded tire)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Well...I can tell you from my personal experience...my first STI, I had Michelin Alpins for winter, and they were really good.

But my Dunlop Wintersport M3s now are actually a lot better.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
They're good tires, but I don't see how you can quantify that tire as "the best". I'd like to see some tests up against the Michelin Alpin PA3 (which, according to TireRack surveys is #1 in class vs the Dunlops #3).

For my needs, the WinterSports are not ideal; I need a tire that has good ice characteristics, which is why I've used both Blizzaks and Nokians in the past. The Hakkapeliitta 5s on the Blazer (plow vehicle) have managed my driveway best so far. A set of Hakkapeliitta 7s are on order for the STI this year.

In regards to dry-handling performance of a winter tire, that's not as much of a concern for me as how it handles in heavy snow / ice; once the weather starts getting worse, I change my driving habits accordingly, and won't really push the car.
They show up as tied for 2nd when I look at the ratings. I do push my cars in the winter because to me, a dry road is a dry road. The Alpin comes in first on account of it's better handling characteristics on dry pavement, but it sacrifices a good bit of snow traction to get those. If you want a tire that's great in the snow and on dry pavement, the Dunlop is the best all-around tire you can buy.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The Alpins definitely had better dry performance handling than the Wintersports...but the Wintersports are superior in the snow and especially with sleet/ice (IMO, of course).

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
They show up as tied for 2nd when I look at the ratings. I do push my cars in the winter because to me, a dry road is a dry road. The Alpin comes in first on account of it's better handling characteristics on dry pavement, but it sacrifices a good bit of snow traction to get those. If you want a tire that's great in the snow and on dry pavement, the Dunlop is the best all-around tire you can buy.
There is no "best" tire. You've had great luck with the Dunlops. You mention that you've run them on 5 cars. What other performance winters have you tried?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
The idea of winter 'performance' tires threw me a bit, so I started looking. Those Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires are 'V' speed rated (up to 149mph before the rubber starts becoming unstable and melting) in my stock 235/45/R17 fitment. So I am wondering.... what would these tires act like during the summer months? Would the tread wear real fast when it is warm out? Are these going to be like the Blizzaks are known to be... great for the first few 1/32 of tread, then mediocre for the rest?

Would they be well suited for year-round use? I know 'all season' tires stink in both snow and while spirited driving, but these are designed for winter-time spirited driving.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Umm...you wouldn't use Dunlop Wintersport tires year round. When snow is done falling and temps are consistently above 45 degrees (usually by beginning of April)...get em off.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
yeah.... i was not planning on it, I was just inquiring to find out if any one knows how they fair on dry warm roads. It is well documented for cold dry.... but what about in warmer temps?

and to avoid any more of these 'just don't do it' responses..... Say you lived in the Mid-West and were planning a road trip to LA in January which would take you through Denver and Vegas. On the way you would be driving over snow covered Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, as well as through 2 deserts (one being about 5 feet south of Death Valley.... the hottest place on Earth)... are you suggesting that person schlepp 2 sets of tires on the trip and change on the side of the road? didn't think so..... so, how would they fair on warm tarmac?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Rage..... you posted while I was writing... thanks for the info on degrading.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Please say you are actually planning that trip...and not just being a hypothetical jackass :p

I didn't end up taking my winters off until June of last year...just never got to my parents' house until then where the summers were stored. For granted I took the train to work and didn't drive more than 50 miles in a week...but they were fine. They will be softer, will feel softer when you're in twisties and trying to push them...and they will certainly wear out quicker than summer rubber, especially if you are logging a couple thousand miles each way, over continuously warm tarmac. But, unsafe? I wouldn't go that far...they just wouldn't allow your car to perform the way it should...and will probably be a waste of a set of winters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts