Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just looking for opinions. I'm in westchester county NY and will pick up a new WRX in 2 weeks. So my question is this. Should I put winter tires on it right away, or roll the dice with the summers?

· Registered
304 Posts
Definitely pick up winters. I picked mine up at the end of winter last year, only snowed one more time and I had absolutely zero traction. This car is almost unstoppable with dedicate snows though

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you wait to get the car? I got mine in the summer; it gave me time to find winter wheels/tires.
I cant really wait to get the car. It's ordered, here, and I am too impatient. Plus my old lease is up. I'm definitely getting the wheels. I was really only debating about actually putting them on. Around here there is a good chance that by the last week of march the lows wont go below 35-40F so I'd be taking them off in 4 weeks. But I know...dont be the idiot that slides his new car off the Saw Mill Pkwy trying to save some time and/or cash.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
If your plan is to run dedicated summer/winter sets, there's no reason to wait until next year to have proper tires.

The only exception to this is if you're in a bit of a financial bind, but at that point, buying/leasing a new WRX probably isn't the smartest move anyway, and should be reconsidered.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question for you guys that know wheels. I am thinking of putting on 215/50R17 winter tires on tire rack's 17X7 steel wheels which have offset of 42. TireRack customer service says that is fine since the wheels are narrower than stock.
Do you agree?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.