ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter seems right around the corner, so it seems a good time to give my WRX a new pair of shoes (well, two pairs i guess). I went to my local tire place and they recommended these Mastercraft Glacier Grip II 205/55R16s. I personally had never heard of them, and cant even find them on tirerack.

My original gameplan was to go with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s of the same size. Tirerack has them for $109 a tire, which is cheaper than the $114 the tire shop quoted on the Glacier Grips. A quick search online and I found the Glacier Grips as low as $82 a tire.

Anywho, has anyone heard of these Glacier Grips? Does the price seem right? Or are the Blizzaks on a totally different level? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Tanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not positive if it's the same, but Mastercraft is a brand name sold by Canadian Tire, which is kinda like a Walmart equivalent. Personally I would avoid them, because as far as winter tires go you don't want to cheap out: you'll either end up having to buy them twice as often because they'll wear out fast, or they won't have very good grip.

Blizzaks are a big name in winter tires, and they are quite good. The main problem with them is that after a bit of tread wear they really become closer to all seasons.

I made the switch from blizzaks to Nokian's. The grip they have on snow and ice is just amazing, noticably better than even blizzacks. Treadwear was also improved, and the performance didn't degrade as the tire wore down like with the blizzacks. Plus, they are slightly cheaper :)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I ended up going with Dunlop Wintersports. I highly recommend them.
Absolutely, I've been through 3 sets now including 2 on my 911 where they performed amazingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts