Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
22 WRX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tires you guys run? Has anyone got steel wheels and tires for a winter/snow set up? Looking for ideas for 22 WRX. I have 18in wheels, should I go down to 17in for taller tires or even 16's if they fit?

· Registered
19 Posts
I too used my factory 18" wheels with a set of MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 ZP. Really wanted to have a set of run flats! Have run all season tires on all my cars and trucks for the last twenty years without any major problems, living just outside of Rochester NY, one of the top ten snowiest places in the United States.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
I know that the VA had some issues with 16" fitment. In my opinion the taller sidewall would be ideal but I don't know the fitment.

17s should do fine. If I recall they have a factory 17 so that should do nicely.

Winter tires range from performance oriented that function better in just cold, all the way to nokian studded tires that will basically go whatever direction the tires are pointed and stop better than performance oriented ones when you deal with ice, snow, and slush.

With a broad scope any winter tire is better than an all season in the winter. All seasons are ok at most things but not good at one thing.

· Registered
71 Posts
I've used Dunlop Wintersport SPs for about fifteen years, on a couple different cars, probably four or five sets of tires over the years. On steel wheels always.

Here in Chicago, most snowfalls aren't that deep - we're no Buffalo or Rochester - but we get a lot of salt. Sometimes they put down more salt than snow it seems like! The steel wheels keep my nice aluminum ones nice and fresh.

· Registered
22 WRX
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I ordered Bridgestone Blizzak ws90 for stock wheels.

I don't know if this sounds crazy, but I want to upgrade brakes. I feel like my WRX needs more stopping power. So after that I'll see about fitment for a set of wheels and tires for 3 seasons and a set for winter.

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX White
15 Posts
I just brought a new 2022 WRX base a week ago this last Saturday. I took off the WRX Dunlap summer tires and OEM rims. I bought a set of 2016 WRX OEM rims. I put Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 tires on the 2016 WRX rims this last Friday.

The week before last, I used these new Pirelli tires for one 300 mile ski trip on my 1992 3000GT VR4 to White Pass and back. These Pirelli winter tires perform well.

I have not yet driven the WRX in snow yet. There is snow forecasted this week. I hope soon see how the Pirelli tires perform on the WRX very soon.

· Registered
4 Posts
What tires you guys run? Has anyone got steel wheels and tires for a winter/snow set up? Looking for ideas for 22 WRX. I have 18in wheels, should I go down to 17in for taller tires or even 16's if they fit?
i just mounted steel wheels & snow tires to my 22 wrx base. 17” steel rims and 235-45-r17 champiro ice pro from discount tire.
Steel rims where from my previous vehicle which had 225-65-r17 snow tires which where to tall. The 225-65-r17 where too tall and would touch front wheel wells when turning.

· Registered
4 Posts
i just mounted steel wheels & snow tires to my 22 wrx base. 17” steel rims and 235-45-r17 champiro ice pro from discount tire.
Steel rims where from my previous vehicle which had 225-65-r17 snow tires which where to tall. The 225-65-r17 where too tall and would touch front wheel wells when turning.
Note: the steel rims are 5x114.3 by 17” which where purchased from summit racing about 7yrs ago. These are the black steel rims. I also purchased hub rings which are $10 for a set of 4.

· Registered
37 Posts
@Jgmz 65?! That’s a lot of sidewall! Biggest I’ve read about is 50!

· Registered
4 Posts
@Jgmz 65?! That’s a lot of sidewall! Biggest I’ve read about is 50!
To clarify, my old winter tires where 225-65-17 which i ran on my Mustang. After i bought the wrx and sold my mustang, i had this package sitting in my garage and did a test fit. Tires where too tall, rims where perfect. Thats why i bought 235-45-17 champiro ice pros.

· Registered
37 Posts
To clarify, my old winter tires where 225-65-17 which i ran on my Mustang. After i bought the wrx and sold my mustang, i had this package sitting in my garage and did a test fit. Tires where too tall, rims where perfect. Thats why i bought 235-45-17 champiro ice pros.
How are the 235/45/17s working for you? Handling good in the snow? How about in dry/clear conditions?

I was reading in another post that with the 235/45s the handing is bad (told the car veers left / right).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts