ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to to guage what everyone does in the winter since this will be my first with my 2011 WRX. Not sure if I need to put snow tires or AT tires. or even if I should get new rims or just mount new tires on my stock 17s. ANy help would be helpful since winter is coming up.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
if youre expecting snow you need something other than your stock summer tires (that is if you want your car still working and in one piece come spring time). Lots of people have dedicated summer/winter setups. I have an 09 wrx and have 205-55/16s for my winter setup. They are cheaper than getting 17s and have more cushion. All-seasons will give you all around performance, but wont provide you with the "extremes" that summers/winters will.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am running 215-55/16's on Steels for the winter and keeping my stock rims for normal summer driving. But, potholes in some of the small towns I am in get pretty bad so I wanted more sidewall. It was also a lot cheaper than buying new tires and having them mounted and balanced on the stock rims since they have Star-Specs on them now.

·
Æternum
20,937 Posts
Rota GR-A with 224/45/R17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s for me.

16s won't clear my brakes :(

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Easiest thing to do is go to Tire Rack and find winter tires. You'll see good ratings and reviews per the price range. Do you want to pay to have tires mounted and balanced every season? Or would you rather just quick change some wheels every season yourself? After a year or two, picking up a set of cheap alloys or steelies will have paid off already.

But bottom line is...yes. Get a winter setup of some sort. Don't bother with all-seasons.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

When you put them on....

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts

You do big brakes and not tell anyone? .. you holdin out? .. jerkface! lol :D

my winter setup this year will consist of my factory '10 wheels with some 205/50R17 Dunlop D3's.. its amazing how much cheaper 205's are vs 225's....

·
Æternum
20,937 Posts
You do big brakes and not tell anyone? .. you holdin out? .. jerkface! lol :D

my winter setup this year will consist of my factory '10 wheels with some 205/50R17 Dunlop D3's.. its amazing how much cheaper 205's are vs 225's....
LOL it's not that I didn't tell anyone, it's the fact that I've had them so long that everyone forgot

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Any idea for custom alignment specs?
So you can be herrafrush yo!

I'm not too up on alignment specs though...Matt will know them pretty well however.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldnt, you will probably not get what you want and you will have to wait to find a buyer. Just find a cheap pair of steel rims and get some average snow tires. Whatever you can afford but they are worth their price. I have had a summer/winter set since I have been driving and its been so much easier and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i just drive mine how it is. for the most part my WRX>my 89 K2500 pickup in the snow. unless its real deep.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm using steel rims with 215/55/16 Michelin X-Ice's and during ou first snowfall they were AMAZING.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
ThisGuy613 said:
Would it be a good idea to just sell my high performance summers and buy a high performance all season?
It depends what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend...

An all-season tire will not perform like a summer tire in warm temperatures, nor a winter tire in colder temperatures. Ideally, a summer/winter setup is what you want, but there's the added expense of two sets of tires (replaced less often) and a second set of wheels (unless you want to pay for mounting/balancing twice per year). For me, dedicated setups on two sets of wheels is worth it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have 225/45-17 snows mounted on my stock rims for the winter. This will be the third time I've transferred tires on the stock rims 'cause I can't yet afford the ~$1800 for a new set of 18"s. :( I'm hoping to get the 18s next year. At any rate, season-specific tires are where it's at. Don't bother with those all-seasons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts