Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else does it? I know I know it’s illegal, I’m a cop, I’m not getting a ticket for it anytime soon lol. And no I don’t care about others tints...I don’t write window tint tickets. Just curious who else likes it and how dark you go. I ask bc I just had the New to me WRX I purchased last week tinted today. 35% on the windshield with a strip of 5% across the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
31,047 Posts
So you like driving with sunglasses at night? "It's dark out, let's make it even harder to see!" Brilliant!

What state are you in so I can avoid it?

If you are truly a LEO, please find work elsewhere.

· Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,923 Posts
Just....wow.

· Registered
80 Posts
First off, let me preface this by stating I'm a 56 year old guy who normally hates window tints. Then my wife had here Crosstrek done and I quickly realized that the newer products are far superior in optical clarity. I quickly realized the benefits and had mine done soon after. I had 70% ceramic tint applied to the windshield of my WRX with a 20% shade band at the top 6 inches. My side and rear windows are 35% (legal in my state). You can't tell the windshield is done unless you measure it. I don't even notice the tint now and the windshield seems to reduce glare from lights.

Interestingly, my tint shop said he's been doing windshields for nearly 5 years and about 25% of his customers have it done. I heard about it from a co-worker 3 years ago when he had his done from another tint shop. In the south, it's way more popular than one might think.

8,923 Posts
Yes, because people want to block the sun while the car is parked. Do you know what's much safer? Buying a quality pair of sunglasses for driving and a sun shade for when you park. Anyone who argues that windshield tint does not impair night time visibility is an idiot.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
gmorphanAt said:
I had 70% ceramic tint applied to the windshield of my WRX with a 20% shade band at the top 6 inches. My side and rear windows are 35% (legal in my state). You can't tell the windshield is done unless you measure it. I don't even notice the tint now and the windshield seems to reduce glare from lights.
Respectfully, you made your vehicle more dangerous to operate during night time driving conditions, regardless of what you "feel". I'll use another example...

A lot of people buy tinted headlight bulbs (e.g., Sylvania Silver Stars) because they "appear" to be brighter due to the whiter light, but in fact, they're worse than factory bulbs. The amount of light output (lumens) is decreased by using this tinted bulb. While the light output hasn't changed in your situation, the light input has, due to your windshield tint.

#Physics

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Respectfully, you made your vehicle more dangerous to operate during night time driving conditions, regardless of what you "feel". I'll use another example...

A lot of people buy tinted headlight bulbs (e.g., Sylvania Silver Stars) because they "appear" to be brighter due to the whiter light, but in fact, they're worse than factory bulbs. The amount of light output (lumens) is decreased by using this tinted bulb. While the light output hasn't changed in your situation, the light input has, due to your windshield tint.

#Physics
If you’ve ever driven a car with a tinted windshield you’d think completely different! I was born with very sensitive eyes. And this is the reasoning behind it to begin with. Lol don’t jump to any conclusions. It’s a ceramic tint for heat blocking UV rays. I have plenty of pairs of Oakley’s in every lens they make lol I don’t always wanna wear them. And night time driving isn’t impaired by any means you can’t tell it’s on there from inside the car. Also helps highly with glare and it’s an interior saver in the brutal heat!

8,923 Posts
If you’ve ever driven a car with a tinted windshield you’d think completely different! I was born with very sensitive eyes. And this is the reasoning behind it to begin with. Lol don’t jump to any conclusions. It’s a ceramic tint for heat blocking UV rays. I have plenty of pairs of Oakley’s in every lens they make lol I don’t always wanna wear them. And night time driving isn’t impaired by any means you can’t tell it’s on there from inside the car. Also helps highly with glare and it’s an interior saver in the brutal heat!

If you were born with sensitive eyes, and it makes it unsafe for you to drive, you should get a limited license. If you want to save your interior, buy a window shade. If you want quality sunglasses, stop buying Oakleys.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
Blev292 said:
I'll say again...

Respectfully, science > feelings.

Ceramic tint doesn't only block UV rays. By tinting your windshield, you're reducing your forward visibility in night driving conditions. PERIOD.

I generally don't have an issue with window tinting on the side / rear windows, but I do have a problem with windshield tinting.

In terms of your rear windshield, you're more likely to strike something while reversing; you're not typically going all that fast while in reverse, so if there's an issue, it's going to be minimal.

As for the side windows, the only time this really is an issue outside of the reverse situation is around the low visibility situations (dawn/dusk transitions, fog, rain, etc.), where people should be operating their headlights anyway (and aren't). That said, if you're keeping proper knowledge of your six (as a LEO, I'm sure you fit into this category of motor vehicle operator), you know of approaching vehicles well before they get to that point, and this should never be an issue.

In terms of the windshield, reducing your ability to stop your vehicle that you're traveling at 60+MPH at an object, no thanks.

NOTE: I don't personally care what you do with your own vehicle, as long as you don't directly negatively impact myself or my family / friends. My posts are not made in judgement of your decision, but to make statements that defy science (e.g., reduced light input doesn't decrease driving safety at night), is an injustice for uninformed members of the community.

· Registered
28 Posts
On the WRX I did 20% all around with just a strip on the winshield. On my last truck, I did double 5 on the back, 5 on the sides, 35 on the whole windshield, and 5 strip on top. It really wasn't an issue seeing out of. Backing up was a problem, but I just opened the rear window.

· Registered
20 Posts
Wow.... I really did NOT expect to see so many people in here being SO rude. Come on guys....really? Give the man a break. 35% tint on the windshield (as you can see from his pics) is nowhere near as unsafe as you guys are making it out to be. Does it "limit visibility?" Sure. So does not cleaning your windshield regularly.

Me? Not my personal preference. I wouldn't wanna waste the extra few bucks on tinting the windshield. I did 20% on everything except the windshield. I think it looks GREAT. The tint + my sun visor keeps this Alabama heat from pushing the inside temp upwards of 110 degrees for 3+ months out of every year. It's amazing how much it helps. Also....did I mention that it looks great!!

I had 5% on all windows, and the windshield exactly like his, on my Saturn Ion Redline back when I was in my early twenties in the Army, living in Texas. That was beyond pushing the limits of visibility....couldn't see a damn thing at night....but that was the 5% on everything else....not the 35% on the windshield.

I totally understand why you guys would disagree with tinting the windshield. I'm not arguing with you. I just think you're being a little harsh on the guy. You'll catch more flies with sugar.

Blev- Let's see some pics from outside the car!

· Registered
108 Posts
Man I can’t win with you guys lol

I just don’t know what I’m gonna do about this hard to see stuff lol..... as you can see it’s not hard to see at all!

Yeah, looks really dangerous to me too... smh. Minus one of EJ257's replies, why is everyone being an ass? Plenty of people do much more unsafe crap to their cars all the time. 35% seems kinda extreme, I admit (the other dude's 70% seems better to me), but using ceramic for heat-blocking is completely justifiable IMO.

· Super Moderator
31,047 Posts
I've never added any tint to any car I owned. Why?

Mostly for the ability to see unfiltered at night in all directions. I've had the misfortune of hitting two deer - one ran into me more than anything.

I also happen to respect law enforcement. The few times I've been pulled over, that approaching officer is able to easily see everything in my vehicle. It is a tough enough job without having to guess what they are coming up against.

I literally have nothing to hide.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.