ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only found one minor annoyance. When using Remote Desktop all mouse pointers, cursors, etc. turn to the Move pointer. A pointer reset in Control Panel fixes it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I installed it and couldn't get back into Windows. Total disaster in my case. Had to reinstall over the old OS so I could keep my files intact. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
UR MOTHA said:
I installed it and couldn't get back into Windows. Total disaster in my case. Had to reinstall over the old OS so I could keep my files intact. Maybe next time.
Do you know why it happened?? I'm running a "borrowed" copy of winXP. I'm afraid that's gonna happen to me.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naturalhoosier said:
Do you know why it happened?? I'm running a "borrowed" copy of winXP. I'm afraid that's gonna happen to me.
Is this the XP Home or Professional version? From what I have read about SP2 it will even load successfully on “pirated” versions of XP. Microsoft seemingly wants all users to benefit from SP2 regardless of the origin of the OS.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is Professional.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if it was their way of getting some redemption for those of us that have "borrowed" from them in the past.

EDIT: Where did you go to dl SP2? I just checked for updates and it said I was uptodate. I know I haven't dl'ed SP2 yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Naturalhoosier said:
This is Professional.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if it was their way of getting some redemption for those of us that have "borrowed" from them in the past.

EDIT: Where did you go to dl SP2? I just checked for updates and it said I was uptodate. I know I haven't dl'ed SP2 yet. Thanks.

you have to go find the network installer. SP2 Wont be available on Windows update for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I don't think there's any reason to d/l sp2 if you've already got sp1 and install all the updates for it. It's pretty much the same thing then.

PS, I had to change my serrial number for the sp1 install.. can't imagine it'll be any harder for sp2.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Testing it @ work before we deploy it... Its doing weird things with the hyperthreading on Intel 4's... runs like a dog with hyperthreading on, and hauls around fine with it disabled... wonder if its going to be fixed..

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think there's any reason to d/l sp2 if you've already got sp1 and install all the updates for it. It's pretty much the same thing then.
I think service packs are more than just collections of hotfixes.

Check out SP2's fix list.

Personally, I'll waot for the public do more testing for MS before I install it. We've not even started to test it at work yet. That stuff on teh P4 HTs just makes me want to stay away for a bit.

For those of you who want a 'safety net' - use XP's restore points. Create one just before you install SP2, or anything major by going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

If you install a lot, you may want to look into slipstreaming SP2 into your XP CD.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This URL was listed in the Sunday Washington Post. It seems to work. I didn't perform the 266 meg download.

go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=806688

I'm not sure why this doesn't create a direct link in this post but it works when you paste it into the browser.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MainFrame said:

PS, I had to change my serrial number for the sp1 install.. can't imagine it'll be any harder for sp2.
The pop up blocker now in IE works great. I need to use & deploy SP2 at work, so I'm seeing what it is about.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I guess there are a couple of new things.. but nothing I would need. The pop up blocker on zone alarm pro works fine for me.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I havent had any problems with it... I'm just annoyed at some of the things it does in IE. The popup blocker is annoying, and the activex blocker is even more annoying. other than that, no stability issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
246 Posts
im a network admin and screw around with this stuff, i installed the sp2 on my sager notebook without a hitch, and then a netwtumbler install farked my network connections and then the acpi broke.

after a reinstall, system is running great.
it has alot of security updates, integrated pop up blocker, i.e. download prompts, and a simplfied auto-wireless config that almost sniffs.

It works, and works well, its the programs that arent going to run well at first. I wouldnt advise unless you have a strong backup.

JK

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Does anyone know or expect me to have problems with a dual boot setup? I am dual booting XP Pro and Linux and don't want to mess up Linux.

The only thing that I think would cause problems is if the boot record got messed with. Anyone know or think an upgrade would mess with the master boot record?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the MBR is only changed when you install an OS, or install a boot manager... so i wouldnt see it affecting it. The SP is just updates to the OS kernel and everything around it.

You should just be running linux and get rid of Windows anyway :D

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I don't use windows much anymore. The internet in linux is unbelievably fast compated to windows. On cnet's broadband speed test I get ~3mbps in windows and ~7mbps in linux. I don't know how accurate that is since it seems unreal but i have done it many times and it always comes out the same.:eek:

I just did set up the dual boot system and I am still learning linux so I still use windows for a few things but that list of programs is getting smaller and smaller. The main issue right now in linux is playing movies, specifically wmv's.

/hijack

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
at work our only issue is with people using the BEEST air modeling program....

not that this is useful information but who knows...

they have a patch coming out for BEEST and then its good to go

1 - 20 of 21 Posts