ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal... I've got an account on my computer here at work, but it's a local account. For example, when you press "ctrl-alt-del" to sign into Windows, then press the "options" button, it says that I'm signing onto my local machine (in the blank where the domain normally is). If I switch it from my local computer name to the domain name and sign-in (using my same user-id), Windows will create an entirely new user profile on my computer.

I don't want to have to re-setup a new account (all of my settings, files, etc.) on my machine... So, is there any way I can tell my current account to sign-on to Windows using the domain and not my local machine?

Thanks! :wiggles:

·
Registered
227 Posts
There are a couple of options.

One is under

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

It will put your profiles into a file. It is self explanatory. Your old profile is your old computer. And you domain logon is your new computer. IT gets most things. Just make sure you have enough HD space.

Or you can use Profile copy tool in the System properties area.

Just make sure the set the promissions to Everyone.

I hope this helps.
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Fixxxer said:
Here's the deal... I've got an account on my computer here at work, but it's a local account. For example, when you press "ctrl-alt-del" to sign into Windows, then press the "options" button, it says that I'm signing onto my local machine (in the blank where the domain normally is). If I switch it from my local computer name to the domain name and sign-in (using my same user-id), Windows will create an entirely new user profile on my computer.

I don't want to have to re-setup a new account (all of my settings, files, etc.) on my machine... So, is there any way I can tell my current account to sign-on to Windows using the domain and not my local machine?

Thanks! :wiggles:
Does your domain use local or roaming profiles (sounds like local)? At you logon screen you have three fields: username, password and domain. What choices do you have in the domain list drop down box? When logging in as usual, what does the drop down box read? If you are logging in with the computer name in the drop down, how are you accessing network resources (printers, shared folders, etc)?

Dealing with user accounts & profiles are a couple of the tasks I do at work …

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Windows XP - Joining a domain?

04.SPT.WRX said:
Does your domain use local or roaming profiles (sounds like local)? At you logon screen you have three fields: username, password and domain. What choices do you have in the domain list drop down box? When logging in as usual, what does the drop down box read? If you are logging in with the computer name in the drop down, how are you accessing network resources (printers, shared folders, etc)?

Dealing with user accounts & profiles are a couple of the tasks I do at work …
That's what I used to do as well... I've just never tried to do this before. Also, we were using Win2k and Active Directory for user/computer management.

Our domain uses local profiles. Right now, I'm signing on to my local machine (computer name: "leework"). I do, however, also have an option to sign-on to the domain server (we'll call it "ntdomain"). When I choose the local sign-in (leework), it brings up my profile and everything is just fine. When I choose to sign-on to the domain (ntdomain), it loads, but none of my settings are kept, and it creates a new profile under C:\Documents and Settings\.

I haven't tried any of the other suggestions in this thread yet... I've been too busy. I'll let you guys know if any of them work though!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've had the joyous task of joining 180 Windows 2000 computers to our new domain at work, so let me try to help.

If you want your local profile and settings available to you when you logon to the domain, I think you're going to have to have to be logged on as the domain administrator, or someone with domain administrator rights.

Your domain user is already copied to your machine. If you go into your system properties (Windows Key + Pause), you'll need to go to the Advanced tab.

The second area in that box should say "User Profiles". Click Settings.

You should be presented with a list of profiles. Select your local profile "computername\leework", and then click Copy To. You should be presented with a file system. Go to C:\Documents and Settings. Your domain profile should be appended with the domain name. For example, leework.ntdomain. Select that if it exists. If it does not, then select the leework folder.

After clicking OK, you should be presented with the option "Permitted to use" which will say COMPUTERNAME\leework. You'll want to click change, and then in the list that appears, select your username. Then, click OK.

It should say something about how everything in that folder will be overwritten. This is okay. Let it finish, log off, then log on as your domain user. Everything SHOULD be the same as your local.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts