Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two seperate installs of Windows on my computer. I had win98, it crashed. I didn't want to format everything and lose all of my files, so I reinstalled it. When i upgraded to XP, it only overwrote one copy of 98. Now I have one XP and one 98 that's just taking up space. How can i get rid of this stupid 98??

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WRX>MUSTANG said:
uhhh, I did this before. I forgot how though. I had 2 versons of home xp.
Thanks Nick :rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
If they are in totally different directories, (ie. Win98 is in a directory called Windows, and XP is on a directory called Win), you can just delete the operating system you don't want. So if its Win98 you don't want, just delete that directory.

At boot up, you normally get a choice between the operating systems (Win98 or XP), on the root of C: drive there is a file called boot.ini (its hidden by default, so you need to change options to display all files), edit using notepad, delet the entire line that gives you the option to boot Win98.

Here is an example of what you will find in boot.ini:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Delete the line c:\="Microsoft Windows"

Once you've done this, your problem is solved!

That will be $150 consultance fee thanks! :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
Buy partition magic or something similar. It will get delete the Win98 partition much easier (assuming you have a separate partition) otherwise you have another partition (say D:\). I'm not saying that's bad, it's just kinda senseless for only one operating system. Once you delete the other partition, you can reclaim that space for your XP partition.

If there is no other partition, then you can just do the second part of Aust-WRX's plan to take the windows 98 out of the boot menu.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....I just deleted the folder with win98 in it. It had never allowed me to do it before, saying there were essential files in there and whatnot, but today it just worked. I have no idea why or what was different about it this time, but problem is now solved! Anyway...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just format and reinstall. Its the bet to do anyways. But you dont have to mess with your boot.ini.

Right click my computer go to property then advanced. Click the start up and recovery options and then make the default OS windows xp. and then take away the coice for OS's on boot up and you wont have to see it anymore.

·
Registered
641 Posts
djrez4 said:
Well....I just deleted the folder with win98 in it. It had never allowed me to do it before, saying there were essential files in there and whatnot, but today it just worked. I have no idea why or what was different about it this time, but problem is now solved! Anyway...thanks for the help!
Hey Rez...the difference before was that there where .dll files in the win98 folder that was being used, but once you upgraded to XP, those files were no longer being used. Hence, you were able to delete the folder Win98.

Yah...Nick...what help he is.

-LostLamb

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
djrez4 said:
No problem, I aim to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts