Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just picked up a 2018 WRX Limited CVT in dark metallic grey and looking to get the windows tinted soon. I am looking for any recommendations for window tint films. I am primarily looking at Prestige Films and either CeraLuxe or Spectra Photosync. Thoughts? And thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
646 Posts
You are working on good choices. I went with 35 tint (best the law allows) Scotchguard, the non-ceramic kind as I live in a "low summer temp" environment (well mostly but not this summer when we cooked). I am happy with it, thrilled with the quality of its install. I had every window tinted, but only went with the allowed 6" band on the upper windshield; its fine, but not sure I would do that next time.

Relatedly and FWIW, I had a friend who decided to go darker than our state allowed, got busted the next year, so it not only cost him $200 to get it done the first time (all nine windows except not the windshield), but $240 to take off the first set and to install legal film the next time. Thankfully, as most jurisdictions due, his fine was waived due to him showing compliance.

Many tint to whatever they wish -- ignoring the law. I belong to the "tint as dark as the law allows" group, (though I wish we could have 20 tint).

And thankfully, we each get to choose which group we belong to.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
WRX John said:
Relatedly and FWIW, I had a friend who decided to go darker than our state allowed, got busted the next year, so it not only cost him $200 to get it done the first time (all nine windows except not the windshield), but $240 to take off the first set and to install legal film the next time. Thankfully, as most jurisdictions due, his fine was waived due to him showing compliance.

Many tint to whatever they wish -- ignoring the law. I belong to the "tint as dark as the law allows" group, (though I wish we could have 20 tint).
I'm with John on this. I live in one of the most heavily policed areas in the state in terms of traffic ticket revenue. When I bought my car, I called the station, and asked them what they would bother me for; I was told as long as my front windows weren't tinted, I'd never be bothered. In the entire time I've owned my car, I've never been pulled over for tint, or had it even mentioned on the 20+ roadside chats with LEOs. While it's still illegal due to VTL laws to have my rear passenger windows tinted, as long as the officer could see into the vehicle as they approached, they never bothered me.

Unfortunately, here in NY, starting in 2017, tint is actually part of the safety portion of annual inspection, which means that I have to remove the tint on my rear passenger windows and re-apply afterwards. Luckily, there are people who look at us as an annual subscription customer, and give a very good price to de-tint / re-tint around inspection time.

PREFACE: DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK
Illegal tint is a legal reason for an officer to stop you. Say you've had a couple beers with your buddies, and you're driving home, and an officer decides to stop you for an equipment violation (you weren't speeding, swerving, or doing anything else wrong); that tint job could cost you a ton of money, if you were right on the line.

· Registered
154 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania and frequently drive in Maryland near Baltimore. Cops could care less about tint near me. PA, while not specifically stated in the law, rule of thumb is 70%, MD is 35%. I've had 20% for going on 6 years now and only ever got a warning after being pulled over for something different. Either way I have had Global films on both my previous cars and it's been flawless

· Registered
80 Posts
I had my '16 DGM WRX done with 35% all around, then 70% carbon on the windshield with a 15% upper strip. I never had window tint on any others cars before, but after my wife had her Crosstrek done this way last year I was sold. The windshield full tint at 70% is illegal, but it's really hard to discern. It does a great job of cutting glare, even with lights at night. My local tinter did everything on my WRX for $380.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I stayed legal for the state of Texas and went with Prestige Films Ceraluxe. Back & rear windows 35%, front windows 20% and front windshield 70%. Will post some pics once it stops raining here and the tint is fully cured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.