ClubWRX Forum banner

261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm posting this to help others decide how dark they want to go.

I'm a cop. Most of us use window tint as probable cause to stop a vehicle. Just because you are stopped doesn't mean you are getting a ticket. Most of us are looking for "real" crimes i.e. Drug use, Driving Under Suspension, DUI/OVI, etc.

If you are polite, roll your damn window down so we can see you if you have tints, and don't have any other violations going on, you are likely to get a warning. The biggest thing is being polite (and not having a bad driving record).

Obviously we're not all the same and some cops are simply ticket Nazi's but the majority of us are just normal people that are trying to get off work so we can enjoy our other hobbies. Don't make us nervous by being angry your got stopped, or not rolling your window down. When I can't see your hands the only thought in my mind is "when is he pulling the gun". Treat any human being with respect, and chances are you'll get some back. But play stupid games and/or have stupid excuses and you win stupid prizes.

Long story short, if you have illegal tint, expect to get pulled over so don't do anything else stupid like drive drunk and you more than likely won't get a ticket.

And we're not stupid either, we know that most car culture people aren't criminals and are usually sober (because their money was spent on their ride and they don't have cash for booze and drugs).

Obviously YMMV and cops in your area may be different so take this for what it's worth. IMO, get w/e tint you want, just expect to get pulled over for it.

And FWIW, I have never personally stopped anyone for window tint (or seat belt violations) because I think they are dumb laws. Sorry this is so long. End rant.
This is my feeling on it in Michigan, without being to tint the fronts at least a little bit, it feels weird. On my old car that had very dark tint in the rear windows from the factory, I would ALWAYS roll down all 4 windows all the way unless it was pouring and even then I would still roll them down a bit.

Every single time I did this, all but one cop thanked me for rolling down the tinted windows, I understand this from a safety point of view, and I know you're just doing your job.

That said, I will likely tint the front to 50% and rears to 35%, leaving the fronts stock seems so weird to me on a sedan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exactly XJ, I don't like it either, but driving is a privilege, not a right.

I had my '15 tinted at 35% with a top banner on the front windshield. I live in PA. I live in a very rural area with no police, just state police. Literally 2 days after getting my tint done, I started to pull out of my driveway when a state police passed me going the opposite direction. I looked in my mirror 1/2 mile later and he was on my ass and lit me up. I pulled into my daughter's middle school (she was with me in the passenger seat and I put down both my driver and rear-driver side window. He walks up aggressively till he gets closer to the car and then slows down. That's when he realized I was a middle age adult with my child in the car and not a young rich punk. He told me that I didn't have my headlights when it was misting (remember, I was still literally in my driveway) which was complete BS! Then he admitted he wanted to check the tint. Long story short, he never did check the tint! I literally felt like I was profiled and it was not a good feeling. IMO, this was a scum bag cop! Just remember, you are going to bring attention to yourself when adding tint. Right or wrong, be aware that you can be pulled over. Even with the states that allow tint, the cop can pull you over, admit that they were wrong, but now write you up for something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Iowa:
the legal limit for window tint according to the Iowa Window Tint Law is that you must allow 70% of light to pass through your FRONT DOOR WINDOWS and WINDSHIELD (in other words, 70% visibility).
There is NO limit to how dark you can tint your rear door windows and back windshield.
You can tint your windshield down the the “AS1″ line at the top of your windshield on the sides.
Keep in mind: A “clear” front door window or windshield (the way it comes from the factory with no tint on it) only allows about 75% of light or visibility because the glass is not completely “clear”.
So, adding any window tint at all will put your windows over the legal window tint limit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pennsylvania is 70% not 30. 70 is what you get with a stock window any further is technically illegal. 35% they don't bother you typically. Local areas by my house are very strict. Some are not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So for Colorado,

Windshield – Non-reflective window tint is permitted on the top four inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows – Window tinting is permitted as long as it allows at least 27% VLT.
Back Side Windows – Window tinting is permitted as long as it allows at least 27% VLT.
Rear Window – Window tinting is permitted as long as it allows at least 27% VLT.

If you want to go darker on the back side windows and rear window, the front windows cannot be tinted at all.

Remember that factory windows have a small amount of tint in them, even if they are un-tinted, usually around 3-5%.

Everything is based on the amount of visible light transmission. So if you put a 20% on your factory windows, your more looking at about 17% visible light, which would be illegal in Colorado if you have the front tinted that dark as well.

I have lived in Colorado my whole life and the last 3 cars I have owned since 2002 have all had 20% tint on them, which is technically illegal. The sun is brutal intense at 5280 ft above sea level. I have never been pulled over once for tint (knock on wood).

A violation of Colorado’s window tinting law is a class B traffic infraction which is punishable by a fine of up to $100. Colorado Revised Statute § 42-4-227

If your driving like "2 fast 2 furious" then you are more likely to attract attention to yourself, thus increasing the chances of a cop giving you a ticket for something dumb like the tint. When I get pulled over I roll down both my front windows so that the police officer has full view of me. This is why the put the tint laws into effect, so that police can be safe and view you inside your car as they approach. If you show you have nothing to hide, I think they are less likely to be a stickler about the tint.

Also please remember that not all cops are a-holes. If you are honest and courteous with them, they are more likely to show you the same temperament.

For more info on Colorado Tinting laws read this: http://windowtintlaws.org/colorado-window-tinting-law/

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So here is a question for this thread. Can a cop in another state give you a ticket for a car that is registered outside of that state. For example: I live in Colorado, if I travel to Utah where the tint law is different, can a Utah cop cite me for that?

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
This is perfect

Motorcycle cops too are the ticket nazis....at least on my area :p
But well said

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm sorry but I hate motorcycle cops. They are the reason cops are disrespected and not taken seriously on the road. I've seen them weave out and break a dozen laws, just to catch someone going barely ten over.

Don't get me wrong, I have a huge respect for members of law enforcement, but I think many of them who do nothing but write tickets are a joke.

With that said, I really want to tint up my ride, especially since I get dry eyes during the spring/summer and it makes bright light hurt my vision. #Triggered

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
This is perfect

Motorcycle cops too are the ticket nazis....at least on my area :p
But well said

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm sorry but I hate motorcycle cops. They are the reason cops are disrespected and not taken seriously on the road. I've seen them weave out and break a dozen laws, just to catch someone going barely ten over.

Don't get me wrong, I have a huge respect for members of law enforcement, but I think many of them who do nothing but write tickets are a joke.

With that said, I really want to tint up my ride, especially since I get dry eyes during the spring/summer and it makes bright light hurt my vision. #Triggered

·
Registered
919 Posts

You should try getting a prescription from your doctor to have tint in the front then... I know a few people who have done so.

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
You should try getting a prescription from your doctor to have tint in the front then... I know a few people who have done so.
Probably will try. It would be more than cosmetic, will actually make it better to drive. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably will try. It would be more than cosmetic, will actually make it better to drive. Thanks! :)
You may want to check you local laws. I know that here in Colorado it doesn't matter if you have a note from the doctor. There is no exemption to the tint law even for medical purpose. I had LASIK done this year and I know that if I went and asked my doctor for a note/prescription because my eyes were more sensitive to light (even though they aren't), he would give it to me in a heart beat.
Doesn't do me much good here in Colorado though.
That being said, I would think that if you showed a cop something from the doctor recommending it, they may be less likely to actually ticket you for it.

Now that I think more about this, it actually might not be a bad idea to get from my doctor as well, because when I travel through other states, technically you need to abide by their traffic laws as well, and I bet my 20% visible light tint is likely illegal there as well, but that state might allow for prescriptions from a doctor, so that could save me.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts

They are called traffic cops for a reason. To get you for breaking traffic laws. They ride motorcycles to be able to get through traffic to get to you to ticket you for acting a fool.

As far as I know there is no medical exemption for tint anywhere because prescription sunglasses

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
Love the internet white-knight who down-voted my post with a "#bluelivesmatter" lol. Work on your reading comprehension skills bud. You're an idiot if you think I don't respect law enforcement.

I think most laws of the road are a joke and speeding tickets are designed to create revenue. If we really wanted to make everyone safer on the road we would enable in all vehicles breathalyzers while removing the radio and banning the use of ANY form of electronic communications. Bonus points for arresting people for eating/drinking while in the car or having children, since we know those are distractions too.

Oh and yes, I think tint-laws are a joke as well. This isn't Nazi Germany. We should be allowed to reduce dangerous UV-rays from entering our vehicle as long as it does not deter our ability to both properly and safely operate our vehicles on public roads. I shouldn't need a note from a medical expert to be allowed to reduce the glare of the Sun into my face while driving.

*rant over*

Let the complaining to my post begin.

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
So here is a question for this thread. Can a cop in another state give you a ticket for a car that is registered outside of that state. For example: I live in Colorado, if I travel to Utah where the tint law is different, can a Utah cop cite me for that?
I think this went unanswered. The answer is yes you can get a ticket in different states even though you are registered to another state. Might they be more lenient? Most definitely. But, you are expected to abide by the laws of the state in which you travel.

·
Village Idiot
3,469 Posts
I don't mean to intervene, but this:

Oh and yes, I think tint-laws are a joke as well.
and this:

This isn't Nazi Germany. We should be allowed to reduce dangerous UV-rays from entering our vehicle as long as it does not deter our ability to both properly and safely operate our vehicles on public roads. I shouldn't need a note from a medical expert to be allowed to reduce the glare of the Sun into my face while driving.
are contradicting. You ARE allowed to reduce the dangerous UV-rays from entering the vehicle, and said allowed reductions are done so in an amount to which each individual state seems fit in terms of keeping your vehicle safe to operate. There isn't one state that doesn't allow window tint. Those are the tint laws in which you both agree, and disagree with. It's just a matter of how dark said tint is allowed to be in each individual state.

Edit:

I think most laws of the road are a joke and speeding tickets are designed to create revenue. If we really wanted to make everyone safer on the road we would enable in all vehicles breathalyzers while removing the radio and banning the use of ANY form of electronic communications. Bonus points for arresting people for eating/drinking while in the car or having children, since we know those are distractions too.
I can't entirely disagree with you on some of this. Yes, distracted driving needs to be looked at and dealt with nation wide. However, most traffic laws are there STRICTLY for the safety of all those who travel on public roads. To say that most traffic laws are a joke is naive, ESPECIALLY speed laws. Yes it's an extra stream of revenue for the city, but how do you think the roads on which you travel are paid for, and the officers who protect you are paid for? By the good graces and overall generosity of the government? No.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Laws are meant to be either black, or white.

Sadly, at least where I live (north subburb of Montréal, Québec, Canada) there is at least one that is prone to gray. And that is everything regarding exhausts.

Here, the only requirement to get a ticket is if the cop judges your exhaust is not stock. Either by its appeareance, or its sound.

They don't test the noise level. Most of em simply put a bar tru your tips to see if your mufflers are freeflow, take a few pictures, and 95% of the time they don't warn you for a first offence, it's a direct fine (which is 162$, and double if you haven't made the switch to OEM in 48 hours..)

And that is somewhat different from city to city, laws are equally vague and depending on the cop you can last 2 years with your setup, or 2 days.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. - Aleister Crowley .....

Ummm, no. Laws are in place for good reason, as are Peace Officers. I for one am very grateful for both.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Love the internet white-knight who down-voted my post with a "#bluelivesmatter" lol. Work on your reading comprehension skills bud. You're an idiot if you think I don't respect law enforcement.

Oh and yes, I think tint-laws are a joke as well. This isn't Nazi Germany. We should be allowed to reduce dangerous UV-rays from entering our vehicle as long as it does not deter our ability to both properly and safely operate our vehicles on public roads. I shouldn't need a note from a medical expert to be allowed to reduce the glare of the Sun into my face while driving.

*rant over*

Let the complaining to my post begin.
:thumbup:

...and said allowed reductions are done so in an amount to which each individual state seems fit in terms of keeping your vehicle safe to operate.

I can't entirely disagree with you on some of this. Yes, distracted driving needs to be looked at and dealt with nation wide. However, most traffic laws are there STRICTLY for the safety of all those who travel on public roads. To say that most traffic laws are a joke is naive, ESPECIALLY speed laws.

Yes it's an extra stream of revenue for the city, but how do you think the roads on which you travel are paid for, and the officers who protect you are paid for? By the good graces and overall generosity of the government? No.
a 30% tint vs a 35% tint on my front windows would not effect my ability to safely operate my vehicle, that is not why that law exists. most speed limits have not changed in decades while automobile safety is leaps and bounds ahead of the technology that was available when 55 mph was arbitrarily decided. motorcycle cops exist for the purpose of writing as many tickets as possible, not to protect and not to serve that is why i and many others have no respect for them.

cops paid for with ticket revenue, seriously? i cant believe people think this way, roads and police are paid for with TAXES! not by treating taxpayers like a city's or municipality's personal piggy bank that they can squeeze more money out of.

everyone feel free to get on your high horse and tell me "if you dont break any laws you wont get any tickets" but there is not a person on this forum that has not broken a traffic law at some point, or installed an "illegal" modification. many laws are subjective, and good officers enforce the intent of the law not the letter of the law.
:woocow:

261 - 280 of 293 Posts
About this Discussion
292 Replies
214 Participants
Morann12
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing