ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pennsylvania: 30% all windows (though you can get away with 20%)

New Jersey: Front windows, none. Rear windows, 35% (Enforcement does seem pretty lax)

Virginia: Front windows, 50%. Rear windows, 35% (You can do darker all around with a medical exemption

Delaware: Front Windows, none. Rear Windows, 20%. (you can get away with 20% on the front windows also)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kentucky: 35% front, 20% rear
Hardly enforced as I have 15% all the way around. Some people have darker and some even put them on the whole front windshield.

·
Registered
28 Posts
California

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

That hardly makes sense, but it looks like you can do whatever you want with all the rear passenger, and back window.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Georgia : Similar to Kentucky, as best I can remember. 35% on front windows, 20% on others. Windshield can have tinited strip on top portion not more than 6", I believe. You can have the whole windshield tinted, but only for medical reasons (eye problems, with doctors "excuse").

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Amendment to California Law

To add to California:

Back Windows: Anything goes if you have 2 side mirrors (you could completely cover them-doesn't matter)

Front windows: You can tint any% BEHIND the driver (some dorks actually tint the back half of the front windows-please don't do this)

Front Window: I beleive it's 4-6 inches down from the top can be tinted any%.

California doesn't have any restrictions on a maximum tint %.

City Police are *usually* too busy to do anything about enforcement, but I've gotten about 5 or 6 tickets from CHP for window tinting, so they look for it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Michigan:

Windshield - 4" from top ANY

Front Door - 4" from top ANY

Rear Door - ANY

Back - ANY

This is by far the stupidest window tint state law out there. You can pretty much put any view blocking crap on your car. Even on the front doors as long as it doesn't go past 4" from the top of the windshield. This stupidness has to stop.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Like I said in a related post, Cops need to worry about cracking down on crime, I have no respect for any police officer who would pull someone over for their window tint. These people who make these laws need lobotamies.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Flyboy said:
Like I said in a related post, Cops need to worry about cracking down on crime, I have no respect for any police officer who would pull someone over for their window tint. These people who make these laws need lobotamies.
It's my understanding in GA that a cop can't pull over for tinting violations, but can only "add" it onto for whatever reason they pulled you over.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
California Tinting

City Police are *usually* too busy to do anything about enforcement, but I've gotten about 5 or 6 tickets from CHP for window tinting, so they look for it.
They look for it...especially in the summer time. THE BEST THING TO DO IS HIT GET THOSE FRONTS DOWN AS FAST AS POSSIBLE IF YOU SEE A COP!!! My friend has a bimmer with limo all around and has virtually developed a radar for cops and is really good about spotting them before they nail him for the tint! Its a 25$ or so fix-it ticket though...worth it or not?? It does look damn good tho.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
koyokid said:
Michigan:

Windshield - 4" from top ANY

Front Door - 4" from top ANY

Rear Door - ANY

Back - ANY

This is by far the stupidest window tint state law out there. You can pretty much put any view blocking crap on your car. Even on the front doors as long as it doesn't go past 4" from the top of the windshield. This stupidness has to stop.
This is wrong. I called the State Police AND my local (Chesterfield) Police. I also asked the tint place I plan on going to (Darkside in Shelby Township). They said..

Windshield - You are correct. 4" from top.

Front Doors - No tint allowed.

Rear Doors - 35%

Rear Window - 35%

I've never heard of any Michigan police enforcing this law. Unless you have limo tint all around or anything extreme. A friend has been pulled over twice with 35% in the front and 20% on the back and the cop never mentioned it.

EDIT: After reading the site above, I wonder which is right. Like I said, the above is what both police stations AND a tint place told me. *shrug*

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about getting pulled over for "illegal" tint. The only reason you have to be worried is when you go to sell your car. It won't pass inspection with tint on the front windows (or whatever your local law says). As long as you don't have limo tint, go ahead and get it tinted anyway you want. If you want to sell your car with an inspection, just have the tint removed from the front windows or just do it yourself. I have removed tint before with a hairdryer. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Re: Amendment to California Law

jmussetter said:
True...I got pulled over by the CHiPs for tint, he really just wanted to check out the car. He was like "How do like this car?" "My wife wants one of these." "She watches rally on Speedvision" "Do you think she needs the rear diff cover?".
"By signing here you are not admitting guilt":rolleyes: :mad:
He should have let me off with a warning.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
queston

lower the % the lighter it is...

so 100% would be limo...correct?

Thqanks tom

1 - 20 of 293 Posts
About this Discussion
292 Replies
214 Participants
Morann12
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing