ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't know which forum to put this in...exterior or maintenance but I'm trying this one...

I know I have been neglecting my windshield wipers for a very long time now and before the weather gets any worse I need to change them...problem is there is so much oil/residue on the windshield I'm afraid just new wipers won't do it...

So my friends told me try Rain X, will this clear the smudges/smearing effect my wipers have now? Another friend suggested I somehow wax then simple green the windshield to remove the film.

My problem is when the wiper passes over the windshield it shows what looks like water stains and smudges, any tips before I waste a set of blades?

·
Registered
189 Posts
This concoction or similar worked for me. It helped strip all the residue from the glass prior to me applying Rain-X.
I once tried that gritty toothpaste type windshield cleaner on my old 95 VW and totally scratched the glass with it.

In a pinch the Rain-X should take care of the problem. But than again it's like using cleaner wax on your paint.

Windshield Residue

·
Registered
342 Posts
you def. want to clean the windshield first, if the clay bar dosent work (which it should work good). you can always go back to the water/vinger and a papertowel to clean the window. But the rainx works really good to repel water from the windshield.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! I have a Meguiars clay bar laying around I never used...I guess I found the perfect timing for it, I'm going to go out and buy Rain X tomorrow as well as some blades and hopefully it comes out like new. :wiggles:

·
Registered
773 Posts
gunstar34 said:
you can always go back to the water/vinger and a papertowel to clean the window.
The vinegar has always worked for me. It'll clean that window spotless. It stinks but works.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Believe it or not, a light weight steel wool will clean a windshield also. That is what we use to clean overspray off a window in the bodyshop if it happens to get any.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Trainrex said:
Believe it or not, a light weight steel wool will clean a windshield also. That is what we use to clean overspray off a window in the bodyshop if it happens to get any.
From what I've read (cause I just did a search on this very same questions) the steel wool has to be SUPER fine so it doesn't scratch.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
exDSMr said:
From what I've read (cause I just did a search on this very same questions) the steel wool has to be SUPER fine so it doesn't scratch.
That is correct. I should have specified that.:wiggles:

·
Registered
711 Posts
So, SERacing, how did this turn out for you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts