Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I'm a newbie here and the very first mod I want to do to my car is a Turbo back exhaust. Could I go with a turbo-back exhaust alone w/out other mods.....will I be running too lean? And will it give me a CEL? Which systems do you guys like? Thanks a lot, and I hope you guys can help me out. Later!

·
1,911 Posts
Most setups will cause a CE light if cat free which is recommended. I would suggest an uppipe as well to go with whatever downpipe/cat back system you are looking at. No you will not run too lean. That's almost impossible to do with the tiny stock turbo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I'm just new and dumb to this whole modifying thing. I definitely want to go catless, but does the cat inefficiency cel mean there's any harm being done to the engine? I mean, all I have to do is disconnect my battery to get rid of this cel right?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
no the cel won't mean you're harming your engine, it just means you're pumping out some nasty **** but getting good horsepower. yea you can reset the CEL light by disconnecting the battery (reseting the ecu), but that CEL is probably more than likely going to come back every time you turn on your car.

Or so I am lead to believe

·
Registered
26 Posts
MRT sells a turbo back exhaust the includes a hi flow cat. they only lost 3 hp when swapping it for a cat-less downpipe. this was on a stock bottom end. you will NOT have cel problems nor will you have the pain in the butt issue of swapping it when you go through emmissions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dan,
the real variable we both are referring to is how radical the engine becomes. An ej20T with bolt-ons will lose minimal horsepower with a good hi flow cat. a high boost or stroked ej20t can lose 30 or more horsepower. i did not think the guy was going there.

Dan,
do you have 1/4 mile et's on your wagon?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am sure you are a honorable person, but how do you get mph and no et?
was the computer screwed up at the track?

i have run my car one evening so far and got 103mph and 13.1
will be going back soon to try again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts