Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a honda dealership and one thing that i hate(the only thing)about my WRX is how notchy the gearbox is. Compared to a prelude or the s2000 this gearbox is way harsh. The gearbox's in these honda's are like silk and are awesome. So if i install a short throw shifter will this smooth up the shifts a little. What else can i do to silken the gearbox up without doing major reconstructive surgery. thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
My prototype from B&M is really really stiff and I don't know if they ever made a production model for our cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought an after market short-throw shifter for my WRX. It improves the shifting a bit. Still cannot compare to the silky smooth S2000 shifter. (I traded my s2000 in for the WRX last month)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i just got my sti shifter installed with the sti shift knob and in my humble opinion it is alot better...stiffer but more precice and feels solid....i'm happy with it..

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Funny thing is that the Prelude and WRX are both cable shifters(unlike most Hondas) but I guess Honda has more experience in making smoother than a baby's butt shifters. I personally like a little stiffness, gives a more positive feel I find. If any of you get a dogbox, shifting will be like a "fun" chore.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i;ve driven prelude and civic sticks, and i like the rex better. :confused: <?> the only stick i've driven that i like better is the M3 and the acura legend.

mmmmmmm

DR

·
Registered
60 Posts
I noticed when I had the STI short through put in it made the feel even more notchy than stock. but at the same time gave a much more solid feel and shortend the throughs up. I like the feel, it gives more poss. feed back from the gear box.
But I would say if you are looking for a less notchy feel, you may not want to get the STI shifter.
Hope this helps some. :)

G

·
The short throw will make it even more notchy feeling and not as smooth. However, the throw is shorter and more precise. Sounds to me like the stock is best for you.

I shifted smoother with the stock shifter (I have the sti shifter). However, after a couple of days I adjusted and now prefer the notchy, precise, stiff feel of my shifter. I think I can also shift quicker when running it hard.

Greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well overall I dont mind the shifts that much, but what i do mind is that i cant seem to get quick shifts down in this car. Especially from 1st to 2nd. But what bothers me is the "pop" or "clunk" that seems to be coming from the rear differential. I want to be able to drive it fast but I certainly dont want to destroy it!!!!! in other cars you can just slam it into second squeal the tires and keep going. But not in the WRX, HOW do you guys do it?????? thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Dirty B I asked the same question before right here. It's when I'm running it hard and am shifting fast at high rpms and just pull the clutch up fast which ordinarilty in a FWD or RWD car would chirp the tires, but in our car you hear this thud sound. I imagine it's not a good thing and now when I shift I pull it up fast to the point where it catches and hold it there for a half a second, I think that is our best bet. Anyone else experience this and have any insight into it? Thanks.

G

·
Personally I don't know but Brett at m2 said the main punishment to the tranny is on the launch when the car is not moving. That thunk is probably punishment to the differentials and not the tranny. However, I have never heard anyone complain about differential problems (hopefully we never will).

I think the clutch is going to protect the tranny just fine as long as you don't do drop clutch launches. I spin the tires plenty without dropping the clutch. At first, I used to smell the clutch but not anymore. I guess there may be a nice middle ground. Hopefully, most of us can find it but it will take courage and practice to get there. With time, I guess we will know for sure....yikes I hope so.

Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
"STi short shifter may help but to be honest with you a cable shifter like the WRX"

god,
Are you sure my WRX has a cable shifter. I've installed the OEM short shifter and checked the manuals and can't find cables. All due respect to god (flamethrower aimed elsewhere), I don't think I've got a "cable" shifter. Just one that could be better, maybe cable like. Richard [Formally known as member #59]

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: SuperRuWRX ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think the WRX has a cable shifter unless the cable is in the transmission iteself (which I am sure it is not). When replacing my shifter for a short shifter all I found was solid rods and linkages.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well it's not solid straight through type like those of a Honda Civic. It's not really cable either, but it's multi linkage system which keeps the console closed from outside(quieter). It's similar to the Eclipse(previous generation)..solid shifter-rod, with linkage rod which actually holds bushings(which is why you can change the shifter without going under the car but have to go under for the bushings). So in that sense, it's "more" of a cable shifter than a solid bar because there is a loss of energy transmitted via various linkages than a solid piece. This gives less feel and possibly more sponginess(non-positive feeling as you might have noticed).

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
i've heard that you can tell a rod shifter by the way the shifter knob vibrates with the engine at idle as opposed to a cable shifter which is more isolated...don't know if this is true...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yes, a straight rod will vibrate more since it's more directly connected to the gear box with less moving parts. It goes straight through your floor panel whereas with cable, the shifter is isolated in the console area with the cables running through and under the car. The vibration is due to the lesser amount of joints and so has a better feel. Cable shifters also get mucked up when shifting aggressively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced the stock shift bushing as well. The stock bushing is very spongy feeling vs the aftermarket replacement Cusco Shift bushing I put in. (I think it's a cusco bushing, It came as an option with the KartBoy shifter)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am not an expert at all here guys but i have read that the Syms short throw shifter takes a way a lot of the "notchie ness" check this out from Challeger Deep Imports,

Personal Note: The SYMS shifter is similar in design to the STi model, but serves a different purpose. If you enjoy street racing, or drag racing, the SYMS quick shift kit is what you are looking for. The STi model is designed for the individual who rallies, or enjoys a notchy shift action. The STi is designed to be precise and positive, but is notchy, and not as short as the SYMS. The SYMS model is great for the street racer. Lever throws are fast, precise, and without notchiness. Great for street, or paved road racing. We do not recommend this linkage to rally racers. It lacks notchiness that we find very important when running the gears and trying to concentrate on fast flying gravel roads. However, if you find yourself running on the street, this linkage cannot be topped. Precise, fast, solid, and incredibly smooth. Gear throws are reduced by 40% in the model year 99 and newer 2.5RS's, as compared to the 15% in the STi shift kit. Choose your driving style, and make one of the best improvements to make driving your car more pleasurable.

here's the link: http://www.challengerdeep.com/
go to Impreza then enginw/trans.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts