Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
btw mine is a catless uppipe, so no worries there, and once my hks dp comes in, the rest of my exhaust should be catless - just wondering if its

1. worth it to heat wrap the uppipe and/or downpipe
2. if i'll increase egt's enough to do damage to the turbo

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No.

Wrap all the pipes you can. Seriously. It makes up for the loss of the heat maintained by the cats and factory heat shields and aids in keeping the velocity of the exhaust gas high. As the temp of the exhaust gas is maintained, and its velcity is similarly maintained, so is the ability of your turbo to spool up.

Thermo tec makes heat wrap.

misterx

EDIT: I run catless up and down pipes and my EGTs are enviably low. Even with an FP turbo.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and you have your pipes heat-wrapped too? wow, i think i'll get on it once my dp arrives. where do you get your egts from? i'm a bit afraid now to mount mine in the uppipe or manifold cause i read about how one guy's egt probe broke off and it flew into the turbo...causing it to break :( so thats about all i'm worried about - if there's any problem w/ mounting the egt sensor in the downpipe, then please feel free to share

btw, sorry for changing topic
-Robert

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My EGT probe is in the left, drivers'side, manifold. No disturbing of the uppipe to install.

I once argued to put it elsewhere. Pace was right. This is the proper place to mount it.

There are worse things to worry about than the probe melting into the turbo.

misterx

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Anybody know how much heatwrap it would take to cover an uppipe AND a downpipe? How many clamps would I be looking at using? 2 for each pipe = 4 total?

Mahalo!

·
Registered
7 Posts
NO. Quite frankly, as long as it's under 1550degF, it's not hot enough. You want as much heat and EGV as possible when entering the turbocharger.

-Bob

·
Registered
383 Posts
What has changed in exhaust wrapping in last few years? The only experiences I've seen have been bad. The wrapping causes moisture/salt to stay on the metal and rusts it out in no time. Do you not have these problems?

VV

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
is2scooby said:
Anybody know how much heatwrap it would take to cover an uppipe AND a downpipe? How many clamps would I be looking at using? 2 for each pipe = 4 total?

Mahalo!
Search the web for thermo tec. They told me how much material to buy. Then you buy your material here.

As far as clamps go, It depends on which pipe you're using. The clamps made by Thermo Tec are expensive. I just went to NAPA and bought a few SS hose clamps. I have three of four on my downpipe because of the transmissiopn support and all that.

Follow the directions for the wrap. Thye insist on only 1/4 in. overlap.

But do wrap the pipes before you install them.

misterx

·
Registered
7 Posts
VetteVert said:
What has changed in exhaust wrapping in last few years? The only experiences I've seen have been bad. The wrapping causes moisture/salt to stay on the metal and rusts it out in no time. Do you not have these problems?

VV
Not at all. Give Jim a call. 267-994-4980, he'll explain it to you. ;)

-Bob

·
Registered
383 Posts
So is it that the heat is supposed to evaporate it or what? It would still hold salt.

Is it in the product or the application?

VV

PlatinumZ said:

Not at all. Give Jim a call. 267-994-4980, he'll explain it to you. ;)

-Bob

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Misterx,

Thank you!

MisterX said:

Search the web for thermo tec. They told me how much material to buy. Then you buy your material here.

As far as clamps go, It depends on which pipe you're using. The clamps made by Thermo Tec are expensive. I just went to NAPA and bought a few SS hose clamps. I have three of four on my downpipe because of the transmissiopn support and all that.

Follow the directions for the wrap. Thye insist on only 1/4 in. overlap.

But do wrap the pipes before you install them.

misterx

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to prevent any of that rusting/salt/moisture buildup, should i coat the pipes w/ some kind of protectant? if so, which kind?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heat Wrap

I will be installing my Exhaust Depot Up-pipe this Friday and have already heatwrapped (Thermo-tec) my pipe. I also plan to do the same with my exhaust manifold. Additionally I will be applying Thermo-tec's exhaust wrap black high heat coating to protect it from chemicals, corrosion, etc.

I will also install Thermo-tec's turbo wrap to insulate the turbo and in turn toss the heatshield. Last week I called the tech guys at DEI(Thermo-tec's competitor) to insure the turbo wrap was a good idea. The guy I spoke with said they have a WRX there that has the kit and wrapping and no problems as well as much better spool-up.

I also bought Thermo-tec's snaps to secure the wrap as it is much easier to work with and get in to tight spaces than conventional hose clamps.

We'll see how it goes!

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Re: Heat Wrap

Natoforces said:
I will be installing my Exhaust Depot Up-pipe this Friday and have already heatwrapped (Thermo-tec) my pipe. I also plan to do the same with my exhaust manifold. Additionally I will be applying Thermo-tec's exhaust wrap black high heat coating to protect it from chemicals, corrosion, etc.

I will also install Thermo-tec's turbo wrap to insulate the turbo and in turn toss the heatshield. Last week I called the tech guys at DEI(Thermo-tec's competitor) to insure the turbo wrap was a good idea. The guy I spoke with said they have a WRX there that has the kit and wrapping and no problems as well as much better spool-up.

I also bought Thermo-tec's snaps to secure the wrap as it is much easier to work with and get in to tight spaces than conventional hose clamps.

We'll see how it goes!
Please write a follow up on your experiences. I think this would benefit every member interested in Heat Wraps.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Defiantely worthwhile to do as long as everything is off...requires maintencance for a daily driver...get under there every oil change and just make sure there are no tears, etc, but otherwise, should be worth doing.

As for the probe location, every runner of the manifold feeds the turbo, so if the probe breaks (hence you got a cheaop probe ala Autometer), then you just bought yourself a new turbo anyway......

Most important thing is get a good guage....GReddy is very nice (nice short probe, Defi's is nice as well)

Adam
www.z1auto.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have wraped my manifold pieces (removed headsheilds), uppipe, and downpipe.

I've noticed that my engine bay stays much cooler after a hard run.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: Heat Wrap

Natoforces said:

We'll see how it goes!
I'd be careful about the wrapping the turbo stuff. They're cast iron and are reputed to crack when wrapped. Do a search here and on I-Club.

misterx

·
Registered
40 Posts
I highly recommend this stuff and can report that I have had great short term results with my setup. Rust and salt is not an issue in Florida and my understanding is that the sealant can help gaurd against these problems but YMMV. I do suggest gloves when working w/ this stuff since it's fiberglass based and moistening(not soaking) the wrap prior to application as per the instuctions. I only had one can of the sealant but I really could done better with two maybe even three cans of the stuff so I would suggest ordering plenty of the sealant. There is no need to go crazy w/ the wrap thinkness/overlap as just with a single thin layer w/ about ~1/4" overlap and sealant I can put my hand on the downpipe right past the turbo after hard turbo glowing runs. :eek:

Some pictures of my install using Thermo Tec Wrap and HT Silicone Sealant/Coating that I purchased from SummitRacing.com:

http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02716.JPG
http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02685.JPG
http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02686.JPG
http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02792.JPG
http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02791.JPG
http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02794.JPG
http://www.majjix.com/photo/2002impreza/image.cgi?DCP02796.JPG

For the record I don't think wrapping your turbo or cast iron manifold is a good idea for the same reasons others have already stated.

Some people have suggested to wrap the pipe when they are on the car and I have to admit that I don't understand the logic here. Can someone explain the logic there?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts