Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new '03 WRX with hail damage at a discounted price of course and now I'm looking to replace the OEM hood since it's not repairable. I'm thinking of going with carbon fiber since the cost is rougly the same as OEM + paint and I'm wanting to know if it'll hold up against hail. Also, how long before it fades? I'm looking at one with UV protection but I don't know how long I can depend on that to last. Any hoods to avoid, like something that won't fit? I'm looking at a VIS hood.

tks

·
Registered
907 Posts
hmmm... it seems from what ive heard and seen, carbon fiber is the strongest of the its class. Indy, Cart, F1 etc. uses carbon fiber due to its weight and strength. But from personal experience of owning carbon fiber trunks/hoods, they crack easily!! I guess it all depends on quality and make of the carbon fiber.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It really depends on the construction the CF has undergone. Sure in pure racing, CF is of highest standards where many layers are used and strong epoxy applied, then the CF is baked in an industrial oven. Some cheaper companies that make body parts don't actually have real CF but rather a single sheet laminate on fiberglass structure. Furthermore, it also depends on the construction of the bracing of the part...just as with a metal hood for example, extensive underframe is needed with CF.

Having said that, even the best CF will break/crack...it won't bend. CF like diamond is strong in only the areas it is supposed to be subjected to and pressure on other areas lead to cracks. I don't think hail will be too bad unless you get basketball sized pieces where you live.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have been thinking of a CF hood as well. Does fiber images make a hood for the WRX? I saw one for an audi and they look beautiful... expensive but beautiful. They have some movies on their site of a car running over one of their hoods and it doesn't even phase it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts