ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys......im going to flash to stage one for a week or so because the rest of my TBE is on the way then i'll go stage 2. the question of the day is whether or not my AEM SRI will work with the stage 1 93 octane map......when I plug into my ODB to flash and select the map it says that its only calibrated to function with the Cobb intake. I'm sure business has a motive in this case but I'd rather be safe then sorry...oh yea Merry christmas!!!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I recommend you don a flame suit.

Seriously, COBB claims their maps are only calibrated for the stock intake tract or their own intake. Refer to the map notes.

Nevertheless, it's your car. Some do it, others don't.

You could log the ECU data before and after to verify any adverse affects. COBB use to offer a map for Injen intakes some time ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recommend you don a flame suit.

Seriously, COBB claims their maps are only calibrated for the stock intake tract or their own intake. Refer to the map notes.

Nevertheless, it's your car. Some do it, others don't.

You could log the ECU data before and after to verify any adverse affects. COBB use to offer a map for Injen intakes some time ago.
I read alot about people using the SPT intake in combination with Cobb AP and they didnt have problems.......unfortunately i don not have the stock air box anymore......should I test it like you said.....afterall, i could always flash back to stock map and get a different air intake if i really have to:confused:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
unfortunately i don not have the stock air box anymore......should I test it like you said.....afterall, i could always flash back to stock map and get a different air intake if i really have to:confused:
If you're in a pinch to flash Stage 1, you could do it. There are a few issues which may develop; idling, stalling, lean A/F ratio, and so on. Search the forums for anyone selling a stock airbox, it should not set you back that much.

Alternatively, and I don't give a s**t what some people say, there are decent Intakes on the market. I have personally logged my car when I had my Typhoon and the results were spot on, no lean conditions and decent performance. Other's have reported the same.

Anyway, I am sure many more will chime in with their $.02. Like I said, get that flame suit. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
it's christmas, and I'm sick as hell with a nasty cold - bah humbug

AFAIK - the following short ram intakes are safe : SPT, K&N Typhoon, APS, Cobb

This is because the diameter of the piping and placement of the MAF is agreeable as compared to the factory intake.

These don't really add much in the way of hp/tq but they do increase throttle response and also make the bpv sound more vocal. The end result is a bit of the noise people want to hear from a BOV, but nowhere near as loud and also less annoying as a result.

$0.02

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is because the diameter of the piping and placement of the MAF is agreeable as compared to the factory intake.

These don't really add much in the way of hp/tq but they do increase throttle response and also make the bpv sound more vocal. The end result is a bit of the noise people want to hear from a BOV, but nowhere near as loud and also less annoying as a result.

$0.02
so the AEM is a no-go?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just flashed to stage 1 to check my MAF reading.....registered 14.7 so it appears to be ok??? flashed back to stock ECU map for safety's sake

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

$0.02
This is sound advice. Could not have worded it better myself. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
just flashed to stage 1 to check my MAF reading.....registered 14.7 so it appears to be ok??? flashed back to stock ECU map for safety's sake
What did you get 14.7 from? I thought the MAF was 5v. The correct way to test it I think would be to log the results from taking two similar drives, one with each intake.

Might not be a bad idea anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
That is the closed loop AFR and has nothing to do with the real problem,the open loop AFR.In open loop the ECU no longer uses feedback from the front O2 sensor.That means there is no feedback correction.At WOT the ECU relies apon the MAF for fueling.If it's not in calibration you will not hit the target AFR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts