ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i get yelled at, i did search lol, and it seems ill be good to go but i want to make sure. Right now i have the stock wheels on my 06 WRX TR, which i believe are 17x7 +55 (correct me if im wrong). I have 215/45R17 tires on them. I want to get new rims, either 17x7.5 or 17x8. My question is, will my tires fit on the new wider wheels??

..according to this chart Rim / Wheel Width my tires should fit 7"-8.5" wide rims. So it should fit fine right? Also, my goal is to stay as close as possible to the stock 55 offset right? Just how far away from that offset can i stray without it being a problem (on stock suspension). I found some wheels with 44 offset, would that be okay?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
what is your reasoning for getting a wider wheel without wider tires? That defeats any possible performance gains

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only because my tires have alot of life left so i dont wanna waste them having them lay around, when i need new tires i would get better ones if necessary. But some wheels i found were 17x8 and said recommended tire size was 215/45/R17 which is what i have already, so would wider tires really be necessary?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
necessary...no. But for any added grip then yes you would want wider wheels. 215 is really narrow for 17X8. Most people run 225 235 or 245's. If the wheels your looking at say 215's fit then I'm sure they will. However keep in mind that your tires will be more stretched, and your wheels will have less protection than you will get with a wider tire (wider tire = more rubber)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The stock '11 WRX is a 17x8 and comes with 235's just as a point of reference. Why not just buy wheels with appropriate tires and sell the old ones?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Will it work? Yes. Is it recommended? No. As stated you're defeating the entire purpose behind getting wider wheels by keeping the same width tires on them, stretching them to get them to fit, causing them to lose a lot of the tires designed performance characteristics and specs. Stretching tires increases risk of sidewall blow out and damage due to road hazards as well.

You're really doing yourself a disservice by keeping those tires. I would recommend you purchase tires of appropriate width and sell the used ones. People purchase used tires in a pinch all the time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, i guess i'll wait a little and save up for a wheel/tire combo just to be safe, thanks for the responses!

·
Æternum
20,590 Posts
Get 17x7.5 wheels. 215/45 section tires will have almost vertical sidewall on those dimension wheels.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Okay one more thing, im really looking into the Drag DR38's.
Not necessarily buying from ebay, but the ebay compatibility feature says these WON'T fit my car (06 WRX TR) but they are 17x8 +47 5x100, so isnt ebay wrong in saying that? Heres the link.

1 New 17X8 5x100/5x114.3 DRAG DR-38 Wheel/Rim | eBay
The width and offset might not work, they may rub the struts. You may need a lower offset for an 8" wide wheel but don't quote me on that. Go to Tirerack.com, they have tools to see what will fit your car

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tirerack doesnt have those specific rims, but they have other ones that are 17x8 with 48 offset that apparently fit my car, so i assume the ones i picked out would.. right? lol

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Before i get yelled at, i did search lol, and it seems ill be good to go but i want to make sure. Right now i have the stock wheels on my 06 WRX TR, which i believe are 17x7 +55 (correct me if im wrong). I have 215/45R17 tires on them. I want to get new rims, either 17x7.5 or 17x8. My question is, will my tires fit on the new wider wheels??

..according to this chart Rim / Wheel Width my tires should fit 7"-8.5" wide rims. So it should fit fine right? Also, my goal is to stay as close as possible to the stock 55 offset right? Just how far away from that offset can i stray without it being a problem (on stock suspension). I found some wheels with 44 offset, would that be okay?
Thanks in advance
Your tires will fit.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Okay thanks, i hope your right cause i really dont feel like shipping them back to return them lol
Discounttiredirect.com is the website that sells drags, if you dont believe me, call them. I just went to the site and those are listed for sale under your year/make/model.. However from experience I have bolted every offset under an 07 I could possibly find to get the best look/performance/ride out of it.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Wats causing the rear tire to sound like a cv joint. Every right turn i make. I need help.
alright bro this is the second thread jack.. Please post a new thread in the new member hang out. Yes it sounds like an axle, get under the car and look for a torn axle boot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Discounttiredirect.com is the website that sells drags, if you dont believe me, call them. I just went to the site and those are listed for sale under your year/make/model.. However from experience I have bolted every offset under an 07 I could possibly find to get the best look/performance/ride out of it.
I do believe you I didn't mean it like that. But I did just go to discounttiredirect and they have that Rim in a 17x7, not a 17x8. I also emailed drag company yesterday and they said the 17x8 will fit on a sti not a wrx, that I'd need the 17x7. Is that true?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I do believe you I didn't mean it like that. But I did just go to discounttiredirect and they have that Rim in a 17x7, not a 17x8. I also emailed drag company yesterday and they said the 17x8 will fit on a sti not a wrx, that I'd need the 17x7. Is that true?
no. Im running 17X8 with no fender modifications. So are many other members

1 - 20 of 23 Posts