ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Innovate tuning LM1 wideband kit and was curious to know where I should put the sensor.

I was thinking since I'm catless and my rear o2 sensor is useless now anyways couldn't I just put the sensor in that bung and just use my utec to cut off the CEL?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
i wouldnt turn off CELs on the UTEC... you never know when you're going to get one thats a problem and needs to be taken care of.
as far as mounting location, you can unplug your stock 02 sensor and live with the CEL while you put the wideband in that stock location, or you can pay a muffler shop $15-$20 to weld a second bung into place and use both of them at the same time.
if you go with the second option, i'd recommend about 12" away from the turbo on the downward slant of the downpipe. mounting it too close to the turbo risks temps getting too hot for the sensor. this is only in theory, and a good number of guys choose to weld the bung in only about 4" away from the turbo just before it starts to curve down.
regardless of how far down you mount it, make sure its pointing slightly downward so condensation doesnt build up inside the sensor. you can find more install details on innovatemotorsports.com i believe, but i just summed it up pretty thoroughly here.
bryan

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the CEL the Utec will let me turn off specifically is the one for the o2 sensor. It has the code can't remember what it is p040 or something like that. So any other CEL will still flash.

I think ima just use that spot.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
oh ok, never looked into that feature really on my utec, guess i misunderstood it. just make sure to read the manual on the wideband so you know how to calibrate it, warmup, and all that jazz. if you wont be using it for an extended period of time then take it out because it will go bad over time.
bryan

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I have to do the warm up and calibration everytime I turn it on? It says it needs to calibrate with fresh oxygen. That would be a pain in the patooty having to take it out everytime I want a reading.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wrinkleboi said:
i wouldnt turn off CELs on the UTEC... you never know when you're going to get one thats a problem and needs to be taken care of.
with the light on all the time (from a P0420 catalyst code) you wouldn't know if there was another code as well. I'd rather have the light off and just check for other codes once a week or so.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You can cut motor off at mid-high rpms, and then floor pedal....this will pump plenty of fresh air through the motor/exaust to calibrate the sensor.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
you cant accurately calibrate it inside the exhaust, it has to be in 'free air'. the good news is you only have to calibrate your sensor once and then you're set. you can find this explained in more detail in the manual.
bryan

·
Registered
269 Posts
As a matter of fact, the exact same procedure I mentioned is in the innovative instructions. You motor is just an air pump, and you can pump plenty of fresh air using the method I described. :wiggles:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
ok well i dont about your method and maybe it works, but all i know is that it says in the manual that it is not possible to calibrate the sensor when it is inside the exhaust and that it must be in 'free air'
bryan

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RitiK said:
How can you just turn off the O2 CEL, I have only found disable CEL on my UTEC?
I was mistaken you can't turn off just the 02 CEL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts