ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just mentioning to my boss(hes a mechanic) about the gauges I was gunna install on my 02 WRX. I listed them all, and when I said, Wideband A/F he verbally slapped me and said it wasnt necessary, and (im still a beginner, dont make fun if I mess the terminology up) said that the stock computer wasnt map-able or tune-able (<- be gentle) and then suggested I get a water temp instead. Do I need a A/F gauge in order to get it tuned?/ Can anyone clear things up for me? Thank you very much!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
If the side of the story you're giving us is true, your mechanic is a moron (or at least he shouldn't be trusted for advice when it comes to modified Subarus).

You don't need a WBO2 in order to get tuned (although, having one isn't a bad idea); the shop in question should have one to throw in the tailpipe.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I don't know how you'd confuse whether a computer was able to be changed or not...

Of course they are. Every car made in the last 20 years or so has a computer that can be tuned.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I don't know how you'd confuse whether a computer was able to be changed or not...

Of course they are. Every car made in the last 20 years or so has a computer that can be tuned.

I suppose to some extent, but not entirely.. my brother's International truck checks its parameters against itself, and if anything has been tampered with it essentially throws itself into limp mode. Although the computer in that truck is far more sophisticated than one like you would find in our cars.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
No, he is very good with a wrench, and a trustworthy guy, more than likely I am getting my facts confused.
wrench != computer

I've heard that from a lot of muscle car nuts. Definitely not true in the Subaru world. If he is good with a wrench, leave him have his wrench. Then go to somebody else to get tuned =).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts