Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a 2017 WRX with around 1700 miles. I've noticed that the second gear shift gate is rather wide. when going from 3rd to 2nd i sometimes grind as well as have a difficult time going from 1st to 2nd. i know there are a couple options for a quick fix such as a perrin brass shifter bushing replacement but do they make a significant difference...?

·
Æternum
16,151 Posts
Yes, shifter bushings make a significant difference in shift feel.

·
Banned
436 Posts
dont forget a shift stop as well, in the first two gears, the shifter allows you to pull it to the left more than you really need. i get the grinding too, i find it's happens when im pulling down-left too hard when i should have just been pulling down and let the gates guide me. but a shift stop will help prevent that

·
Registered
129 Posts
dont forget a shift stop as well, in the first two gears, the shifter allows you to pull it to the left more than you really need. i get the grinding too, i find it's happens when im pulling down-left too hard when i should have just been pulling down and let the gates guide me. but a shift stop will help prevent that
+1

the shifter bushing will just make your shifts feel a little notchier and clean. the shift stop is what narrows the space in the gates to allow you to shift into the right gear every time. I added it on mine, and love it. there's also an adjustable shift stop built in for the 5th and 6th gears, so you have to line up both simultaneously which can be a little tricky, but totally worth it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the shift stop if in the mail on its way but on another note are there any mods where i can get more power without a tune besides a drop in filter and a catback...? im pretty sure the answer is no but it couldnt hurt to double check

·
Registered
129 Posts
so the shift stop if in the mail on its way but on another note are there any mods where i can get more power without a tune besides a drop in filter and a catback...? im pretty sure the answer is no but it couldnt hurt to double check
i don't believe you can change the filter without a tune unless it has the same airflow characteristics as OEM, in which case why bother?

As far as anything else, if it affects power output I believe it will require a tune. Maybe someone else can provide more input

·
Registered
67 Posts
i don't believe you can change the filter without a tune unless it has the same airflow characteristics as OEM, in which case why bother?

As far as anything else, if it affects power output I believe it will require a tune. Maybe someone else can provide more input
Modern fuel injection systems rely on mass flow calculations and feedback loops that will result in many, if not all, external mods like air filters having no negative effects. Basically, the computer is working to optimize the mixture based on measured mass of air and controlled mass of fuel, then checking and adjusting based on knock, O2, and possibly other sensors. This is quite unlike Olden Times with carburators, which are volumetric flow devices. Depending on where the carburator float bowl was vented, air filters (particularly dirty ones) could have a major effect. Positive effects of changing air filters are arguable, but the system would take advantage of additional air flow automatically. On the exhaust side I am less sure about changes because there are sensors on the exhaust side whose temperature and, hence, reading might be affected. Any effects, though, would probably be tiny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts