ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. im new to the forums, and new to subaru, i do not own one, but i am curious. how does a wrx, stack up against other cars. im talking everything, retail price, durability, upgrade prices, and general parts prices. ive owned a few hondas and they were great and were very durable and good on gas, also cheap to maintain. i now own an audi a4 1.8t quatro. LOVE the awd and the turbo. but they are DAMN expensive on parts and labor being a german car. and would cost an arm and a leg to do any serious mods to. so i thought "why not look into a wrx" except i know NOTHING about them, other than the basic and obvious, but i dont know their trac record, if i were to buy and older possibly higher ish mile wrx. like an 01 with 120,xxx miles on it. what would i expect from the car. obviously how it was maintained comes into play but still. any help on this subject would be great, thanks

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Are you in the U.S.? The WRX didn't arrive here until 2002.

What you're asking is a sweeping set of questions. You didn't specify what year Audi, but based on the time I've had in the driver's seat of a B6 Quattro, you're going to take a step down in interior quality and general build quality. You may expect the WRX to be a bit more reliable and inexpensive to maintain IF the car has reasonable mileage, and the previous owner was diligent about maintenance. Look for receipts and other evidence that the car has been loved. Find an older guy with one, not a 17-year-old with a sideways cap. (with apologies to 17-year-olds with sideways caps)

If you really do buy one in 6 figure mileage, there will be much to look at. You'll want someone who knows Subarus to measure compression and leakdown, to look at the condition of the turbo, whether the timing belt has been changed, and the general condition of the chassis/suspension, etc. People buy these cars, mistakenly thinking that they now have a rally car, and will do some damage.

WRX's are not known for great gas mileage; the AWD drivetrain and driving style are big factors. I'm an old coot, and managed to get 27mpg out of my Stage 2 setups, while some of our other guys get less than 20mpg on a day-to-day basis.

If you want Honda reliability, you may want to buy another Honda. There's usually a tradeoff between buying something that's ultimately dependable, and something that's more of a blast to drive.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try looking at the ""WRX vs The World"" thread, there is a lot of good comparisons there.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Why WRX?

Because rally car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you in the U.S.? The WRX didn't arrive here until 2002.

What you're asking is a sweeping set of questions. You didn't specify what year Audi, but based on the time I've had in the driver's seat of a B6 Quattro, you're going to take a step down in interior quality and general build quality. You may expect the WRX to be a bit more reliable and inexpensive to maintain IF the car has reasonable mileage, and the previous owner was diligent about maintenance. Look for receipts and other evidence that the car has been loved. Find an older guy with one, not a 17-year-old with a sideways cap. (with apologies to 17-year-olds with sideways caps)

If you really do buy one in 6 figure mileage, there will be much to look at. You'll want someone who knows Subarus to measure compression and leakdown, to look at the condition of the turbo, whether the timing belt has been changed, and the general condition of the chassis/suspension, etc. People buy these cars, mistakenly thinking that they now have a rally car, and will do some damage.

WRX's are not known for great gas mileage; the AWD drivetrain and driving style are big factors. I'm an old coot, and managed to get 27mpg out of my Stage 2 setups, while some of our other guys get less than 20mpg on a day-to-day basis.

If you want Honda reliability, you may want to buy another Honda. There's usually a tradeoff between buying something that's ultimately dependable, and something that's more of a blast to drive.

Good Luck! :)
that answers alot of it. i havea b5 97 btw. at this point in my life im in that 6 digit car miles range to buy. but i do maintenance on all my cars myself. ive gotten very familiar with the dos and donts of audi and ik what to watch out for. i was just curious if scoobys are the same way. the mileage is a little depressing, granted i only have 150hp and 200tq with stock setup i get 33 mpg on the highway. one of my BIGGEST questions, is how long (if the car was maintained well) can i EXPECT the engine to work. i had a 94 acura integra and i was promised if it was well taken care of, 250,xxx miles, my gf drives it now with 197,xxx and it still runs flawlessly with great compression. i like hondas but they seem to lack awd is the big problem. we just had a big snow storm here in WI last night, no snow to 8 inches, and i went out a 2 a.m. JUST to play in it with my car. the audi i deathly painful to buy parts for. rear shocks are $100 a peice for exmple. spark plugs are $16 a pop. otherwise i really like the car. i just am a little amazed by the consistancy of the high price. otherwise i dont mind an interior downgrade. i didnt buy the audi for luxury i bought it for turbo quattro lol and because they look really pretty. and i didnt want another good running "rust bucket"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also my audi is a REAL pita to work on, how are wrx's to do work from home on, granted you are familiar with cars?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I've found it to be easy enough to work on. The good news is, there is a great Subaru community online. Anything that needs to be done probably has a "HOW TO" thread either here, on Nasioc, or other places, with helpful tips about the best way to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts