ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and NOT something else? I know I want something I can beat up at the track and still dd it. What about you? :drive2:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,451 Posts
At the time the price:performance ratio was very good.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
They are the best car ever made...duh.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Same answer as I gave in Tony's thread...it's a Swiss Army knife. It does many things pretty well...utility of a small station wagon, control of AWD for slick conditions, fair mileage (though better before hybrid), good acceleration, decent handling, good reliability. Tough to find this combination.

·
Æternum
20,886 Posts
Because I like to smoke Aston Martins and Porsches with my superior 0-60mph times all while driving a rally car br0!

errrr oh yeah, because I can't afford an Aston Martin ;)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Since you're talking about tracking the car, then you definitely want an STI. ;)

Performance for value is why I bought another STI.

Because I like to smoke Aston Martins and Porsches with my superior 0-60mph times all while driving a rally car br0!
You can come and (try) and smoke my Porsche any time..... ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reliability wise, would 02-06 be any better than the newest Subies? If so, in what ways? I know if I go Subie, I won't want a 5sp will try and find a 6sp but other than that, anything make one body style more reliable?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
1beastnstl said:
Reliability wise, would 02-06 be any better than the newest Subies? If so, in what ways? I know if I go Subie, I won't want a 5sp will try and find a 6sp but other than that, anything make one body style more reliable?
They weren't plagued with engine failures, but they are more likely to have been beat on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm with him on the same question, I'm looking at used STIs. What years do I stay away from? Coming from a GTI I wish I would have listened when they said to make sure the MKV was a TSI not FSI engine.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
STi's in general are pretty much the same across the board. In 2008 they switched to a double wishbone setup in the rear so they have an advantage there, but older models (excluding 2004) are all pretty much the same with slight mechanical changes, and the obvious change in body styles. 2004 was a bit of a stripped down car that came with very little by way of comforts. 2007+ STI's have a different rear diff and thereby final drive ratio than previous years, but I doubt that's going to affect your purchase decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
STi's in general are pretty much the same across the board. In 2008 they switched to a double wishbone setup in the rear so they have an advantage there, but older models (excluding 2004) are all pretty much the same with slight mechanical changes, and the obvious change in body styles. 2004 was a bit of a stripped down car that came with very little by way of comforts. 2007+ STI's have a different rear diff and thereby final drive ratio than previous years, but I doubt that's going to affect your purchase decision.

GREAT info!!! I have had the "pre madonna" car (my G) so part of my attraction to the Subie is the fact that I can "beat" it up a bit and it will keep running.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
zax said:
admit it Scott, you just want me there for the Hanky Spanky
Giggity

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
20,886 Posts
No stock road car it going to last long when subject to "abuse".... Yes these cars can be reliable, but I hope you have deep pockets if you plan on "beating it up"...
Like Charlie Sheen "beating it up" or what?

·
Registered
380 Posts
1. I hate Honda's
2. I refuse to buy a 2 seater
3. there are no other half decent turbo hatches
4. VW doesn't count, the 1.8 is annoying, GTI's got fat, and did I mention I'd rather have poor-ish interior quality than electronics that go completely haywire?
5. I refuse to buy FWD (Yet another reason to stay away from GTI's- the R32 is a Golf R32, Not technically a GTI)
6. Couldn't find a mazdaspeed 6 =/

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts